Hi-fi equipment in the age of MP3 etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I know. Believe me, I've tried, Philip. But never again will I try to fit the Vienna Philharmonic into my front room. What with making umpteen cups of tea and supervising parking, I never got to hear any of the music.
    Awww, shucks. You should have recorded it.

Comment

I know. Believe me, I've tried, Philip. But never again will I try to fit the Vienna Philharmonic into my front room. What with making umpteen cups of tea and supervising parking, I never got to hear any of the music.
      Clearly, CDs will suffice given the poor provision of chai. That said, live is always best, when available (if not affordable).

Comment

Though you could always try the "Brahms approach" : forget the opera (or other genre), just tuck yourself up on the sofa with the score. Never fails.

Comment

But that approach of course is a form of "reification", and is a sin we never want to commit. Do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            Though you could always try the "Brahms approach" : forget the opera (or other genre), just tuck yourself up on the sofa with the score. Never fails.
            Yes, indeed. Daniel Barenboim was asked which recordings he would take on his desert island and he said he would prefer the scores, so that he could re-create the ideal performance in his head.
            Unfortunately, there are many of us who can only use our ears (which is more than Beethoven could do.)

Comment

Yes, indeed. Daniel Barenboim was asked which recordings he would take on his desert island and he said he would prefer the scores, so that he could re-create the ideal performance in his head.
              Unfortunately, there are many of us who can only use our ears (which is more than Beethoven could do.)
              A most pertinent posting, Michael. You seem to have the two necessary elements : ears and a brain to go with them. An increasingly rare combination. Have you been reading Lydia Goehre?
              Last edited by Quijote; 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM. Reason: Syntax

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                A most pertinent posting, Michael. You seem to have the two necessary elements : ears and a brain to go with them. An increasingly rare combination. Have you been reading Lydia Goehre?
                Never heard of her. Did you mean Lydia Goehr?

Comment

Working...
                X