20th Century music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20th Century music

Some people have said they're not into 20th century music or music beyond Mahler. I've just listened to the most fabulous, exquisite performance of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" in a recording of "Suites 1 and 2" from the ballet by the Philadelphia Orchestra/Riccardo Muti. I've heard quite a few recordings of this work and NONE OF THEM beats this one. To my great disappointment the recording isn't available, except 2nd hand, because "discontinued by the manufacturer".

Prokofiev is but one of a phenomenal range of composers of the 20th century without whom I couldn't possibly imagine life!! Ravel is another to-die-for composer, just to name the two. Not to mention Olivier Messiaen....oh, where to end this!!

Anyone got any ideas about fabulous composers, works and performances of 20th century?

Really this thread belongs in the main forum I think as it is about classical music so I shall move it there. I'd start at the beginning with Stravinsky and his first 3 ballet scores, especially of course the Rite of Spring - what a revolutionary piece! Bartok would he high on my list - favourites are the piano concertos 2/3, the ballet 'The Miraculous Mandarin' and the music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste. I agree with you about Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet of course, the piano concertos (especially no.3) and much more! Shostakovich I have to be more selective with. Vaughan Williams' 5th symphony, Britten's Peter Grimes, Sibelius' 6th symphony are also favourites of mine. There are loads more if I had the time!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sorry about posting in the wrong place!

Yes, Bartok would be one of the 4 B's for me - Bach/Beethoven/Brahms/Bartok - that's how highly I rate him. Not forgetting 'Bluebeard' - wonderful!! You're right about the piano concertos - just extraordinary. Shostakovich is an acquired taste, but some say he's the greatest symphonist and chamber composer of the 20th century, so I need to work harder on him. That beautiful 2nd movement in the piano concerto is sheer poetry though.

Today I've ordered Ravel's Piano Trio in A minor - what a work! Have loved it for decades but haven't bought it till now (no money with lots of kids to feed back then).

Comment

There are individual pieces I like, but no composer whose entire output I love, as with Beethoven a few of my other favorites.

Aside from things already mentioned, for me there is George Gershwin and Scott Joplin.

Comment

The works of composers as Penderecki, Crumb, and Ligeti have been good for me. Unfortunately, I do not have the same exposure now to the current trends as I did years ago. The composers mentioned above are staples in my musical diet; no problems here with 20th Century music for me!

Comment

This is all very interesting. Yes, George Gershwin has been a lifelong love of mine too. The man was an absolute hero and every inch American. Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
              This is all very interesting. Yes, George Gershwin has been a lifelong love of mine too. The man was an absolute hero and every inch American. Bravo!
              As an Aussie I thought you'd be gunning for Percy Grainger - an amazingly talented man if rather eccentric!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Apart from "Handel in the Strand", most of his music is just average English fare. Not in the league of Elgar, Vaughan-Williams or Britten. Of course, the greatest English composer of all was Henry Purcell, IMO. i have all his theatre works on CD, as well as some songs, anthems and other works. And there's the sublime, "Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary" - in a league of its own, yet a study in simplicity.

Comment

Shostakovich is an acquired taste, but some say he's the greatest symphonist and chamber composer of the 20th century, so I need to work harder on him. That beautiful 2nd movement in the piano concerto is sheer poetry though.
                  I checked a good number of the pieces which were recommended in this new thread. Of these only the above mentioned 2nd movement of the 2nd piano concerto from Shostakovich really moved me. I heard it in YouTube. Really a fantastic work which I didn't know yet so far. Thank you for recommending it!!
                  Encouraged through this I began to listen also to other movements from Shostakovich. Another great movement I found was the 3rd mov. from the 1st violin concerto (Passacalia) and the last Allegro from his 7th symphony.
                  But nonetheless the most of other movements I didn't like at all...

Gerd

Comment

In many ways Shostakovich is the successor to Beethoven with his string quartets. You should try listening to some of these. Great recordings available from some of the world's leading string quartets. Glad you liked piano concerto (2) - it is deeply moving isn't it?

Comment

No Debussy or Ravel fans?
                      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

OMG, yes, Ravel and Debussy are absolutely up there!! Ravel's piano trio in A Minor, in particular, is to-die-for!! Debussy's piano music is phenomenal and quite different to Ravel. They are both of the very first rank.

I'm watching Deutsch News and am horrified to see breakdancers doing a routine to a Bach Prelude from Book 1 of "The 48". Is nothing sacred???!!!

Comment

Apart from "Handel in the Strand", most of his music is just average English fare. Not in the league of Elgar, Vaughan-Williams or Britten. Of course, the greatest English composer of all was Henry Purcell, IMO. i have all his theatre works on CD, as well as some songs, anthems and other works. And there's the sublime, "Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary" - in a league of its own, yet a study in simplicity.
                          Average English fare? What a cheek, you Aussie convict! (Joke, in case Peter is policing this page too.) Percy Grainger? Never heard of him. Wasn't he a gardener on some BBC TV programme or other?

Comment

Back to 20th century music : I have to put in a good word for Edgar Varèse. Roehre will understand. Or should.

Comment

I don't think we need to be limited by those few I mentioned. I've just received my CD of the complete solo piano music of Samuel Barber. Wonderful!

Comment

Working...
                              X