26th March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26th March

183 years have now passed since LVB left this world - with time flying so fast it won't be long till the bicentenary. This date also marks another Beethovenian anniversary - his first known public appearance in 1778 at Cologne.
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    183 years have now passed since LVB left this world - with time flying so fast it won't be long till the bicentenary. This date also marks another Beethovenian anniversary - his first known public appearance in 1778 at Cologne.
    Time is flying indeed. It was exactly on Beethoven's (presumed) 200th birthday on which I got hooked on Beethoven in particular and classical music in general, and in the early seventies was eager for the festivities in 1977 (as I missed all the 1970 ones ), though living and cherished memories, a long time ago already.

Comment

I had forgotten the date, but was it mere coincidence that today my harmony students analyzed LvB's Piano Concerto N° 3 (1st movement), in order to identify places where he uses Augmented 6ths (hereafter A6) and employs chord VII (with or without added 7th) to replace the V7? We have paid due homage, I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Time is flying indeed. It was exactly on Beethoven's (presumed) 200th birthday on which I got hooked on Beethoven in particular and classical music in general...... .
        Beat you by two years! "Sgt Pepper" came out in 1967 and a month or so later, I bought my first classical work, Tchaikovsky's Sixth. This led to his Fifth and in March of the following year I bought Beethoven's Pastoral. And the rest, as they say folks, is history.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          I had forgotten the date, but was it mere coincidence that today my harmony students analyzed LvB's Piano Concerto N° 3 (1st movement), in order to identify places where he uses Augmented 6ths (hereafter A6) and employs chord VII (with or without added 7th) to replace the V7? We have paid due homage, I feel.
          That's a good one for your A6 chords. That's one I'll have to look over again; I was learning it years ago.

Comment

Time certainly is flying by. Thanks for the reminder Peter.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I can't stop hearing the slow movement of the "Eroica"...
              Zevy

Comment

I've been off the air because of a trip to inland NSW - 725km of driving. But I have LvBs funeral oration over my desk and this is a daily reminder.

My first "classical" purchase (I prefer "art music") was 1967 and the Grieg Piano Concerto. My mother gave me Richter playing LvB "Appassionata" and "Pathetique" sonatas in January, 1968 for my 18th birthday. I was brought up as a child on Richter, Rubenstein and van Cliburn records which my mother collected so didn't have to buy these. Looking back now I recall that we had no rock and roll in the house, but she liked jazz - Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald and so forth. I came to enjoy pop music of the day - the Beatles being number one - and these were played in the home a huge amount. Strangely, I now find them somewhat ephemeral and unsatisfactory as a musical experience! Sorry.

Comment

My first "classical" purchase was the 5th Piano Concerto. When I first heard it I was a bit disappointed, that it didn't meet my expectations, but then I didn't really know much about Classical Music. Since then the work has grown into my favorite of all music. I don't recall who the soloist was, it could have been van Cliburn, but the conductor was Fritz Reiner.

Comment

Working...
                  X