a quality book on Mozart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a quality book on Mozart?

Simply put, does anyone know of an accurate book on Mozart? Particularly covering details about his personality, the changes he went through financially, and most of all information about The Requiem.

Is there a single book about his last years, and writing what he did of The Requiem?

Many Thanks.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Indeed Preston. H.C.Robbins-Landon has written several illuminating books on Mozart such as 'Mozart, the Golden years' which focuses on his last decade in Vienna and also 'Mozart, the last year' which focuses on 1791 and of course the Requiem.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Again, thank you much Peter. For now, "Mozart's Last Year" seems to be what I was looking for. There are also good reviews about the book and Landon.

Comment

Robert W. Gutman's Mozart might be a good one. He gives a lot of background information that helps one to understand better the geopolitical issues of the day. Besides, I could only find one reference to Lucchesi, so it has to be a good one. ;-)

Comment

After a couple of hard drive/motherboard meltdowns I couldn't remember the password here, but had it listed on a hard drive file of one of the now defunct computers. These have been busy times, so I haven't had much time to post anyway.

On the Gutman biography, I've only read the first few chapters (I do intend to finish it one of these years) and I was impressed at the amount of background information he gives on Mozart's family.

Comment

Who or what is Lucchesi?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
              Good Lord, Preston, you are beginning to sound like me ! Not a bad thing, I hasten to add.
              Don't even tempt me! (Where's that devil emoticon when I need it?)

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                Who or what is Lucchesi?
                You can either search this site for Andrea Luchesi and the heated debates that went on for some time here or the internet - Personally I've no desire to reopen that one!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Searched the forum and see why not many want to reopen it. Gosh- seriously.
                  Last edited by Preston; 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Goodness me! I will never forget "Luchesi"! For a while
                    I was the "author's" favourite "victim". He found my book,
                    "Constanze, Mozart's Beloved" particularly repellent,
                    especially my account of Mozart's Requiem and Mozart's
                    last years since, according to him, they never "existed".

Agnes.

Comment

Working...
                    X