BBC Proms 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Proms 2009

The 2 month season of concerts kicked off last night with a fascinating mixed programme of rarities including Tchaikovsky's formidably difficult 3rd piano concerto played brilliantly by Stephen Hough. Another highlight was the two sisters Katia and Marielle Labèque in a scintillating account of Poulenc's witty concerto for 2 pianos.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2009/
    'Man know thyself'

Looking forward to Haydn's Creation tonight, sung in English too

Comment

Last night's Prom with the CBSO conducted by Andris Nelsons was outstanding. My head is still reverberating to the Stravinsky Firebird which was a complete tour de force - I don't think I've been so affected by a live performance since hearing Abbado conduct the LSO in Mahler 1 getting on for 30 years ago. Stephen Hough playing the Tchaikovsky 2 nd Pinao concerto was also a triumph, especially the wonderful mini triple concerto in the second movement. Shame I couldn't stay for JE Gardiner - no relation as far as I know - and the Monteverdi's singing Bach - though to be honest I don't think I could have handled the gear shift. Some times you just want to savour the experience for its full worth rather than rush on to the next piece. Well worth listening to via the website.
      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Rousing performance last night of the rarely heard Mendelssohn 2nd symphony - his choral which is not altogether successful, Wagner referred to it as 'poor man's Beethoven', but it contains some terrfic music nonetheless. Also another rarity, Berlioz's cantata on the death of Cleopatra. Tonight it's Mendelssohn again and the 'Reformation' symphony (no.5).
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X