Missing pieces from my Beethoven collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing pieces from my Beethoven collection

Over the weekend I got curious as to how much of Beethoven's music I actually have on CD. I have tried to collect most of the works without buying any complete editions (though I do have a few volumes of the DG complete edition). Here is what I am missing:

Works with opus numbers
    Opus 11: Piano Trio No. 4 in B-flat major ("Gassenhauer") (1797) (*for clarinet (or violin), cello (sometimes bassoon), and piano) - Version with bassoon
    Opus 16: Quintet for Piano and Winds (1796) (later arranged for piano quartet) - Piano quartet version
    Opus 41: Serenade for Piano and Flute or Violin in D major (1803)
    Opus 42: Notturno for Viola and Piano in D major (1803)
    Opus 63: Arrangement of String Quintet (Opus 4) for Piano Trio (1806)
    Opus 64: Arrangement of String Trio (Opus 3) for Piano and Cello (1807)
    Opus 134: Piano arrangement (4 hands) of the Große Fuge, Opus 133 (1826)

Works with WoO numbers
    WoO 2b: Prelude to Act II of Tarpeja
    WoO 5: Violin Concerto movement in C major, fragment
    WoO 12: Twelve minuets for orchestra (probably spurious, actually by Beethoven's brother Carl)
    WoO 16: Twelve Écossaises for orchestra (probably spurious)
    WoO 17: Eleven "Mödlinger Tänze" for seven instruments (probably spurious)
    WoO 23: Écossaise for Military Band (only a piano arrangement by Carl Czerny is extant)
    WoO 50: Piano Sonata in F major (1790–92)
    WoO 62: String Quintet in C major (Fragment, Piano Transcription)
    WoO 63: Nine variations for piano on a march by Ernst Christoph Dressler
    WoO 64: Six Variations on a Swiss song for piano or harp - Harp version
    WoO 68: Twelve variations for piano on the "Menuet a la Vigano" from Jakob Haibel's ballet La nozza disturbate
    WoO 81: Allemande for piano in A major
    WoO 84: Waltz for piano in E-flat major
    WoO 85: Waltz for piano
    WoO 86: Écossaise for piano in E-flat major
    WoO 91: Two arias for Die Schöne Schusterin
    WoO 94: "Germania," aria with chorus in B-flat major
    WoO 97: "Es ist vollbracht" for Die Ehrenpforten
    WoO 98: "Wo sich die Pulse," chorus for The Consecration of the House
    WoO 99: Italian Partsongs (No. 8, No. 12)
    WoO 131: Unfinshed song "Erlkönig"
    WoO 158d: "Air Français"
    WoO 160, 162, 171, 181: Forty-three Canons
    WoO 199: Musical joke "Ich bin der Herr von zu"
    WoO 200: Piano Exercise "O Hoffnung!"
    WoO 201: Musical joke "Ich bin bereit!"
    WoO 204: Musical joke "Holz, Holz, Geigt die Quartette So"
    WoO 205: Ten musical quips (Kinsky's word is "Notenscherze") from Beethoven's letters

Works with Anhang (Anh) numbers
    Anh 1: Symphony in C major ("Jena") – now attributed to Friedrich Witt
    Anh 2: Six string quartets
    Anh 3: Piano Trio in D major
    Anh 4: Flute Sonata in B-flat major
    Anh 6: Rondo for piano in B-flat major

Selected works with Hess (H) numbers
    H 12: Oboe Concerto in F (lost; only incipits and draft of 2nd movement extant)
    H 15: Piano Concerto No. 6 (unfinished)
    H 28: Movement in A-flat major for string trio
    H 31: Prelude and Fugue for String Quartet
    H 38: Bach Fugue arranged for String Quartet
    H 39: String Quintet in F major (lost)
    H 40: Movement in D minor for String Quintet
    H 46: Violin Sonata in A major
    H 68: Ländler in C minor
    H 87: March for piano (arrangement of WoO 29)
    H 88: Minuet for piano (arrangement of Hess 33)
    H 89: Musik zu einem Ritterballett (Music for a ballet on horseback) (piano arrangement of WoO 1)
    H 90: The Creatures of Prometheus (piano arrangement of Opus 43)
    H 91: Opferlied (piano arrangement of Opus 121b)
    H 92: Bundeslied (piano arrangement of Opus 122)
    H 93: "Freudvoll" (piano accompaniment for Opus 84)
    H 97: Wellington's Victory ("Battle Symphony") (piano arrangement of Opus 91)
    H 99: March for piano (arrangement of WoO 18)
    H 107: Grenadier's March
    H 108: Wellington's Victory ("Battle Symphony") (panharmonicon arrangement of Opus 91)
    H 115: Vestas Feuer (unfinished Opera)
    H 118: Music for The Consecration of the House (from Opus 113)
    H 137: Song "Ich wiege dich" (lost)
    H 139: Song "Minnesold" (lost)
    H 143: Song "An die Freude" (lost)
    H 152–207: Folksong settings
    H 208, 209, 226, 229, 232: Italian partsongs
    H 233–246: Counterpoint exercises
    H 274–275: Four Canons
    H 300–301: Two Canons

Obviously there are a lot more Hess pieces and others, but I am mainly concerned with the Op. and WoO pieces, and any major pieces that escaped those classes. This was working off the list on Wikipedia and comparing with the one on this site for reference. Some of the ones listed are not important - the lost, unfinished, spurious. So what do you think - anything significant in the list I am missing out on by not owning? Or anything you know to be spurious that I don't have marked as such?

WoO 2b is actually the prelude to act II of the 1805 version of "Leonore" and it has been recorded by Gardiner.

Hess 15 piano concerto movement in D major from 1815 has been realized by Nicholas Cook and recorded by Inedita.

WoO 131 "Erlkonig" was realized by Becker in the 1880's and has been recorded. BTW, there are 11 other renditions of "Erlkonig" other than Beethoven's and Schubert's and all have been recorded.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
      WoO 2b is actually the prelude to act II of the 1805 version of "Leonore" and it has been recorded by Gardiner.
      I know - it was in the notes to my recording of Leonore. Sadly, they did not know it at the time of the recording... But as I said, I just copied and pasted these things from Wikipedia.

Comment

And regarding all those Hess piano arrangements, such as for WoO 1 - were these arrangements made by Beethoven?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          And regarding all those Hess piano arrangements, such as for WoO 1 - were these arrangements made by Beethoven?

Chris;

I did not understand your question?? Please clarify!!

Comment

Well, look at H 89:

Musik zu einem Ritterballett (Music for a ballet on horseback) (piano arrangement of WoO 1)

Did Beethoven make this piano arrangement himself?

Comment

Well, look at H 89:

Musik zu einem Ritterballett (Music for a ballet on horseback) (piano arrangement of WoO 1)

Did Beethoven make this piano arrangement himself?

According to my "New Hess Catalog," Hess 89 is an original Beethoven arrangement of WoO 1.

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

I am surprised that there aren't too many recordings of Op. 134 out there.

Comment

Maybe I can help you:

Opus 16: Piano quartet version. Meridian CDE 84154.
                  Opus 41: Serenade for Piano and Flute. Audvidis Valois V 4693.

Comment

Thanks - I actually found those and several others, but I'm not going to go around buying a bunch of CDs with music I already have just for one minor work that I don't, especially if it's just an arrangement of something I already have. I was mostly wondering if there are any real gems in my list that I should make the effort for.

I'm also surprised WoO 81, 84, 85, and 86 aren't more available. The only place I have found them is on complete editions. But they are charming little pieces. I don't really need recordings of them, since I can play them myself easily enough, but I would think they would be out there somewhere. Huh.

Comment

I was mostly wondering if there are any real gems in my list that I should make the effort for.
                      Op. 134. A completely different way of exploring the universe of Die Grosse Fuge.

Comment

Originally posted by Marek Krukowski View Post
                        Op. 134. A completely different way of exploring the universe of Die Grosse Fuge.
                        I was looking for that one, but could only find it as part of complete editions. Do you know of any other recordings of it?

Comment

H 91: Opferlied (piano arrangement of Opus 121b)
                          I have the sheet music of this. If you'd like, I can scan it & post it here.

The inside note says: "This edition of the fourth & final version (1824) faithfully represents the autograph score held at the Stadtbibliothek in Vienna. The vocal score is based on the composer's own piano reduction as published by B. Schott of Mainz in 1825. Work on this version took place when Beethoven was completing the Missa Solemnis & the Ninth Symphony."

Clayton Westermann, editor

There's a YouTube of a chorus performing this arrangement, including piano accompaniment.

Comment

Thanks, but I'm not too worried about that one. I think I'm pretty satisfied with my collection now.

Comment

A lot of the rarities can be found on recordings from Monument Records:

http://www.monumentrecords.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X