• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Movie: "The Soloist"

The following looks interesting:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...i_cinema_denby

Originally posted by Philip
    Michael, no responses so far to your posting. This is lamentable. May I make one?
    Be my guest! At least it will end the agony of waiting ..... the sleepless nights ......the cold sweats ......

Comment

Actually, Philip, it's one of those postings that doesn't require a response. I was just drawing attention to a new film which is partially inspired by Beethoven's music and, until anyone has actually seen it, there isn't very much that can be added to the above description.
      (Except for these last four spurious responses).

Comment

Well, thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

Denby says that Marianelli, the guy who wrote the score, "added some heavyweight variations on Beethoven."

A while back, I posted here that I had finally gotten around to seeing the 2005 "Pride & Prejudice," & that I sat there during the opening scene (of the young woman's run through the fields in the early morning) rather confused because the solo piano work I was hearing on the soundtrack sounded like Beethoven -- only I couldn't identify it. I figured it was one of the late bagatelles that I'm not familiar with.

When I checked on it, I found out that Marianelli wrote it himself, after being told by the director to compose something Beethovenian. The rest of Marianelli's score for that film doesn't do much for me, but that opening solo piano piece is an excellent Beethoven "fake."

According to Amazon, the CD soundtrack for "The Soloist" is available already (The New Yorker typically reviews movies late in the game). You can hear clips at Amazon:
          http://snipurl.com/ggjvu [www_amazon_com]

I'm listening now. I want to hear whether the composer really wrote genuine variations on a Beethoven theme, or whether that was just Denby's figurative manner of description.

Comment

Michael, I will post for you, !

It does seem interesting. Although, I am very turned away from Hollywood these days. I have trouble respecting the "materialistic beliefs" (actually quoting Peter) of Hollywood. Movies are a huge thing here in America, as I am sure they are other places. The celebrities are on covers of almost every magazine, at the grocery stores. The money they make for "acting" is so much that it is ridiculous. And then to top it off a lot of them claim to be great humanitarians?!! Which is very misleading for the youth in America and the other places.

Do not get me wrong though, I do like some movies, and a couple of the actors and actresses.
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
              Denby says that Marianelli, the guy who wrote the score, "added some heavyweight variations on Beethoven."

A while back, I posted here that I had finally gotten around to seeing the 2005 "Pride & Prejudice," & that I sat there during the opening scene (of the young woman's run through the fields in the early morning) rather confused because the solo piano work I was hearing on the soundtrack sounded like Beethoven -- only I couldn't identify it. I figured it was one of the late bagatelles that I'm not familiar with.

When I checked on it, I found out that Marianelli wrote it himself, after being told by the director to compose something Beethovenian. The rest of Marianelli's score for that film doesn't do much for me, but that opening solo piano piece is an excellent Beethoven "fake."

According to Amazon, the CD soundtrack for "The Soloist" is available already (The New Yorker typically reviews movies late in the game). You can hear clips at Amazon:
              http://snipurl.com/ggjvu [www_amazon_com]

I'm listening now. I want to hear whether the composer really wrote genuine variations on a Beethoven theme, or whether that was just Denby's figurative manner of description.
              If you have seen the BBC six-part production of "Pride and Prejudice", you will find a genuine piece of Beethoven in one of the episodes. Darcy and Elizabeth play together the "Andante Favori" and it is also woven into the incidental music of the scene. Needless to say, Miss Austen did not write such a scene.

Comment

OK. I was just trying to drum up some replies for you. Seems to have worked, no?
                Yes, thanks, Philip.

Comment

Thanks again, Philip.
                  (Wow, this thread is really taking off).

Comment

I am branching this off into another thread - see "Pop Quiz".
                    Last edited by Michael; 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM.

Comment

At least the film is based on a true story which is promising! They compare it to Shine which was a film that I enjoyed so when is it out?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I saw "The Soloist" today. It is a well-written tale of mental illness. The soloist is a homeless schizophrenic who can't function within society. He lives in his music. It is a true story, sadly. The soundtrack for the movie is Beethoven, but it is not a Beethoven movie. I thought it was well done, and enjoyed it greatly. This is not a movie for children, but I think compassionate adults will find it riveting. It should be a "Best Picture of the year" nominee.

- Susan

Comment

Thanks, Susan, that's good to know. As regards Best Picture, if the movie is that good it should be in with a chance. The academy has a predilection for films about handicapped or autistic people, but I don't know if it's for humanitarian or histrionic reasons.

Comment

Not to be confused with the film The Shining (with Jack Nicholson). A film I enjoyed, not least for its effective use of 'contemporary' music.
                            I don't know why but I never liked "Shine" and I've seen it about three times. Geoffrey Rush was absolutely brilliant as David Helfgott - and absolutely realistic if you have seen the real David. But, as a film, it didn't work for me.

Now, "The Shining" is a horse of a different kettle of fish. As you say, Philip, Kubrick's choice of music is unerring, especially the opening sequence which features the "Dies Irae".

Comment

"The Soloist" - the movie referred to in this meandering thread - opens in the U.K. on September 11th.

Comment

Working...
                              X