Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th symphony on record

Hi members,
    as an enthusiastic Beethoven fan I feel very happy to found your forum and to become a member now.
    As a collector of classical music I specialized myself in searching recordings of BeethovenĀ“s 5th symphony (about 400 items). So I would like to ask around if there are any rare recordings e.g. live, broadcast, private etc.
    What treasures are in your cupboard ?
    Peter

The only "rare" recording I have of the Fifth Symphony is a CD version of Arthur Nikisch's version of 1913. It was originally released on four double-sided 78rpm shellac records which were sold separately.
    The limitations of orchestral recording in those days were severe and the size of the "orchestra" ("band" would be a better description) was about 40 players and there was an unmerciful crush to get them all close enough to the horn.
    There were some instruments that simply would not record - particularly the lower strings which had to be replaced by trombones and tubas.

Did I read your message correctly? You have 400 recordings of the 5th? Well, you don't really need this one - except as a historical record (no pun intended).

Comment

Yes, I know the Nikisch recording. It was re-issued by Naxos and others. Although the "sound" is not so much thrilling, in my opinion it is an important document, because the interpretation is quiet closer to BeethovenĀ“s time than many modern "historic" conductors.
      The recording method in this era was not horizontal as with singers, but they build a kind of iron roof and the orchestra was placed under this "umbrella", so the sound has to rise up.

Comment

Working...
      X