Complete piano variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete piano variations

I have to confess to only being familiar with a handful of the 20 or so sets Beethoven wrote and therefore I'm thinking of buying a complete set. Brendel's seems to be all that is available (not that I'm complaining there) but I wonder if there were other recommendations and perhaps some comments on the DG complete edition of these?
    'Man know thyself'

Are you talking about Brendel's set titled "Variations and Vignettes?" If so, it's a great set. The only problem with it is that it's missing two sets of varations (and I have no idea why - there was plenty of room on the disc that was filled out with other pieces). The DG volume has these, and also the couple of sets of variations for four hands. So Brendel's set is not technically "complete." It does have a fantastic recording of WoO 83, though. It also doesn't include the Diabelli Variations, but he has those available on a separate disc. I can't comment on the quality of the DG volume recordings, as I have not heard them.

Comment

The DGG eight-disc set has all the piano variations played by various performers: Anatol Ugorski, Mikhail Pletnev, Gianluca Cascioli, Barenboim, Jorg Demus, Emil Gilels. As usual, from DGG, the quality (soundwise and artistically) is first class. It even includes the "organ" works, played by Simon Preston. If you google "DGG Complete Beethoven Edition, Vol 6 Piano Works" you will come up with some results, though the first few I checked seemed pricey.

The Complete Brilliant edition which came out recently does have all the variation sets. Most of these are sourced from the Vox set of Brendel recordings and the (sound) quality is generally good. The four-hand piano works are new recordings and so are the so-called Elector sonatas.
      These, of course, are not available separately but the whole set of 85 discs (or 100 if you go for the one with additional historical recordings) can be got reasonably if you shop around.

Chris's recommendation seems to be a good one (depending on price and availability) if you could find out exactly what is missing and if those works can be got separately.

Incidentally, the DGG Complete Beethoven Edition is available from Amazon for a cool £1,950. (Second-hand, at that).
      The Brilliant edition can be got new from eBay for £70.
      Last edited by Michael; 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Are you talking about Brendel's set titled "Variations and Vignettes?" If so, it's a great set. The only problem with it is that it's missing two sets of varations (and I have no idea why - there was plenty of room on the disc that was filled out with other pieces). The DG volume has these, and also the couple of sets of variations for four hands. So Brendel's set is not technically "complete." It does have a fantastic recording of WoO 83, though. It also doesn't include the Diabelli Variations, but he has those available on a separate disc. I can't comment on the quality of the DG volume recordings, as I have not heard them.
        No I was thinking of a box set that includes the bagatelles, but your recommendation seems more complete and a better price!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X