Too much great music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much great music

Sometimes it feels like there is just too much great music out there, things I definitely want to experience in my lifetime. Not just to buy and listen to once, but to experience and really get to know over repeated listenings and studying the scores.

And playing is even more hopeless. I don't know how the pros do it - manage to record everything by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin... Granted that is their job, but even if I devoted every second of every day for the rest of my life to it, I don't think I could accomplish such things. Well, I guess that's why they are the professionals and I am not. Still, I often wish I had majored in music. I might not want the stress of trying to "make it big", but running the music at a nice church with some other gigs on the side, and teaching students...ah, if only

There is indeed too much great music out there. In order to appreciate it, you should now and again listen to crap. There's no shortage of that, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      ....... There's no shortage of that, either.
      Well said Michael, the amount of junk the record companies put out these day is awful...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Sometimes it feels like there is just too much great music out there, things I definitely want to experience in my lifetime. Not just to buy and listen to once, but to experience and really get to know over repeated listenings and studying the scores.

And playing is even more hopeless. I don't know how the pros do it - manage to record everything by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin... Granted that is their job, but even if I devoted every second of every day for the rest of my life to it, I don't think I could accomplish such things. Well, I guess that's why they are the professionals and I am not. Still, I often wish I had majored in music. I might not want the stress of trying to "make it big", but running the music at a nice church with some other gigs on the side, and teaching students...ah, if only
        I have to concur with Chris (regrettably). I "majored" in music (as if that counts for anything), and it is no solace, let me assure you. Not only is there a vast repertory of unheard music (maybe even "masterworks", gasp!), there are also thousands upon thousands of pages dedicated to the examination of music. Quick, now .....

Comment

Working...
        X