The First Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First Symphony

My growing admiration for the First Symphony has taken me by surprise because for many years I regarded it as a Haydenesque pastiche minus the thematic invention of the older master. This view of mine might have been planted in me by a certain book I bought back in the sixties when I first became interested in “classical” music. The author, Gervase Who – sorry, Gervase Hughes – had this to say:
    “It is so pleasant to listen to …(and) it may be captious to point out that it would rarely have been played during the last 150 years had it been written by some talented but less well-known contemporary”.
    I believed all I read in those days and I never heard the distinct background sound of an axe grinding. The same author described the late quartets thus: “ugly music remains ugly music no matter who puts his name to it.” I hope that, wherever he is now, he is subjected to the “Grosse Fuge” every morning.

Getting back to the much-maligned First, Beethoven had already displayed his mastery of melody and bold harmony in his sonatas and string quartets but it was generally felt that he had taken a step backwards with the symphony. When I first heard it, I had already encountered most of the other symphonies, and the material in this work seemed plain to the point of boredom. It took many years (speaking personally) before this little gem began to assert itself but, when I listen to it now, it just reinforces my view that, with Beethoven, you have to be patient. You have to clean out your harmonic palette (if that doesn’t sound pretentious) and try to listen with the squeaky-clean ears of the early classicists. (A lukewarm saline solution also helps.)

So, try to place yourself in the Burgtheater, Vienna, on the day after April Fool’s Day, in the over-symbolic year of 1800 and listen to that opening – as dramatic in its own way as that of the Fifth or the Eroica. Beethoven opens on the subdominant and then messes with your brain and doesn’t state C major until the allegro begins – twelve bars and you are already floundering. After all this, he can afford the plain material that follows because he has focused your mind on the harmonic architecture; this guy has a different agenda, folks. You are caught up in the momentum which is the essence of sonata form and nobody knew how better to generate it

I may as well admit that I am indulging in a bit of sophistry when I describe the themes as “plain”. They have the sense of inevitability and strength which will reveal itself long after the wish for a ravishing tune has gone. The trio of the third movement consists of one note repeated nine times on the woodwind with little wisps of accompaniment from the strings, and yet the effect is …….well, ravishing. The finale is exhilarating and towards the end of the exposition, there is a hint of the first movement of the C minor symphony.
    I am not trying to say that, if Beethoven dropped dead after the premiere of his first symphony, he would still hold the high position he has today, but I would like to think that this work would still be played.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM.

I was lucky to hear the work I think when I was around 11 or so without knowing too much about its musical context or its composer. In fact I had only heard one Haydn symphony at the time - the Surprise. I was immediately taken with the first symphony, especially the 3rd movement and the 4th which is so joyous and uplifting. I think when coming to music for the first time you should try not to read anything about it and let the music speak for itself - then find out all you can. Not always possible, but more rewarding I think. I also heard the Consecration of the House this way and it was on the radio. I had no idea who the composer was but was enthralled with the sheer excitement of the music - wonderful joy when the announcer proclaimed Beethoven as the composer. I went straight to my local music library and took the record out!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I always liked the Symphony No. 1. Not the equal of any of them from the Eroica on, but a great work, and I think I actually prefer it to No. 2.

Comment

Thanks Michael, I'll now be playing to the First symphony again for maybe the sixth time in 40 years!

I'll be really listening far more attentively this time because of your insightful post.

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          [...] It took many years (speaking personally) before this little gem began to assert itself [...]
          Michael, Peter, Chris and Maurice : I seem to recall discussing B's 1st symphony on this forum some time ago. I can't remember exactly the context, but it was about my refusing to be drawn into comparative value judgements between this symphony and his later ones. I also half recall describing it as "a perfect gem-of-a-symphony", or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            Michael, Peter, Chris and Maurice : I seem to recall discussing B's 1st symphony on this forum some time ago. I can't remember exactly the context, but it was about my refusing to be drawn into comparative value judgements between this symphony and his later ones. I also half recall describing it as "a perfect gem-of-a-symphony", or something like that.

Philip, No use asking me, I cannot remember videos I watched last week :-)

Played the first movement tonight. Will play the whole First symphony tomorrow morning.

Comparing is so subjective.

Philip, Is a rebuttal a rebuttal if the rebutted does not accept the rebuttal as being an accurate rebuttal? :-) (Without raising the subject again. It can be done by email or PM.)

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com Updated.

Comment

The first is, indeed, a very delightful work! I always thrill to that opening dominant of the dominant. But each of the symphonies is delightful in its own context.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                The first is, indeed, a very delightful work! I always thrill to that opening dominant of the dominant.
                Yes similar to the opening of the Prometheus overture.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Colgan View Post
                  Philip, Is a rebuttal a rebuttal if the rebutted does not accept the rebuttal as being an accurate rebuttal? :-) (Without raising the subject again. It can be done by email or PM.)
                  Be my guest, Maurice. A Private Message via this forum suits me. Over to you.

Comment

Maurice, I have responded to your private message, but I'm not sure if it worked. Please confirm via another private message. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      Maurice, I have responded to your private message, but I'm not sure if it worked. Please confirm via another private message. Thank you.
                      I replied to your reply Philip, and now cannot find either posts?

My "where do you hang out?" question, meant message boards. :-) No threat. I'm almost 67 and way past that sort of nonsense.
                      I suggest we leave it alone we appear to be on different wavelengths. I believe in what I say on Forums. I'm sure you do too. We will agree to differ then, at least on Political correctness, and National traits?

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Colgan View Post
                        I replied to your reply Philip, and now cannot find either posts?

My "where do you hang out?" question, meant message boards. :-) No threat. I'm almost 67 and way past that sort of nonsense.
                        I suggest we leave it alone we appear to be on different wavelengths. I believe in what I say on Forums. I'm sure you do too. We will agree to differ then, at least on Political correctness, and National traits?

Please we have created a special forum for chit-chat! Any problems with private messages can be discussed in the general forum.

Back to Beethoven and the first symphony which wasn't actually his first attempt at this genre - he had considered symphonic composition earlier in his life, producing extensive sketches for a symphony in C in 1795/96 while he was studying with Albrechtsburger. Earlier still there is a sketch in C minor labeled 'sinfonia'.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Talking of 'Firsts' I have been listening more and more to LVB's no 1 Piano Concerto. I always used to go straight for the later concerti as, as a non musical reading punter, I assumed them to be more ‘masterful’ which in fact they may well be, but I have to say that the slow movement of number 1 is simply one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard
                          Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne View Post
                            Talking of 'Firsts' I have been listening more and more to LVB's no 1 Piano Concerto. I always used to go straight for the later concerti as, as a non musical reading punter, I assumed them to be more ‘masterful’ which in fact they may well be, but I have to say that the slow movement of number 1 is simply one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard
                            I agree with you there, Tony. Beethoven's middle and late works are so overwhelming that it takes a bit longer to appreciate the earlier masterpieces.
                            I have become very fond of the Piano Concerto No 2 (which was actually his first). Beethoven himself did not hold a very high opinion of it and, like the C Major symphony, the first movement of this concerto consists of "plain" material and yet the effect is magical, and indeed the slow movements of these two early concertos are marvellous. These works crept up on me, just like the First symphony.
                            Last edited by Michael; 01-29-2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I played the First symphony this morning. getting to grips with it now. Will play it again tomorrow, and the the First piano Concerto... this kind of revision is enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                              X