Composer anniversaries 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composer anniversaries 2009

This year sees several significant anniversaries - Purcell's 350th and Mendelssohn's 200th birthdays. Then it's 250 and 200 years since Handel's and Haydn's deaths. BBC radio 3 is to broadcast all 42 Handel operas this year and all of Haydn's symphonies will be played - 2 a week!
    'Man know thyself'

Poor old Haydn - always in the shadow of other composers and better than most. If only he had an anniversary to himself - but the BBC are doing the best they can. I read somewhere recently that Haydn would have been much more famous if he hadn't had the misfortune not to have died young or go deaf (if you can untangle my syntax).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Poor old Haydn - always in the shadow of other composers and better than most. If only he had an anniversary to himself - but the BBC are doing the best they can.
      Don't worry Michael. Here in Austria there is plenty going on to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Haydn's death. Check out here some of the special things planned for this Haydn 2009 year:
      http://www.austria.info/xxl/_site/en...alculture.html
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Glad to hear that, Hollywood. I think Haydn's instrumental output is every bit as good as Mozart's. I am just after listening to his last symphony - one of my all-time favourites.

Comment

Working...
        X