Beethoven's Handicap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Handicap

Alas, my musical education has been sadly lacking so I am relying on you experts to explain the abstruse technical terms in this news item which I have pasted in:

"Beethoven prevails in stretch duel at Churchill
    By Marty McGee
    Updated: November 29, 2008, 9:15 PM ET

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- One was very easy, the other very tough. In sweeping the twin Grade 2 stakes Saturday at Churchill Downs, jockey Calvin Borel urged Beethoven to win a three-horse photo in the Kentucky Jockey Club an hour after riding Rachel Alexandra to a romp in the Golden Rod.

By winning both closing-day features, Borel took three of the four Grade 2 stakes that ended the 26-day meet. He also won the Falls City Handicap on Thursday aboard Miss Isella.

Beethoven, by Sky Mesa, emerged victorious in the $168,000 KJC after a ferocious three-way stretch duel. Slipping through along the rail at the quarter pole, he outfought the early leader and pacesetter, Capt. Candyman Can, while holding off a sustained outside run from Giant Oak. The win margin was a neck, with Giant Oak another neck ahead of Capt. Candyman Can in a field of nine.

"He hung in there and run a big race," Borel said.

Beethoven, now a winner in 3 of 5 starts, returned $14 after finishing 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.14 over a fast track."

(End of news item.)

The Miss Isella is obviously a reference to the Missa Solemnis but the rest is beyond me. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, it just goes to show you that Beethoven is a winner even if, in this case, he is a horse!
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

What about "Beethoven" the dog? Wasn't there a TV series about a dog
      called Beethoven.

also

a couple of year ago I saw a van advertising "Mozart Cleaning Service".

Regards,
      Agnes.

Comment

Nothing new here, kids have been playing Hayd'n seek for generations!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Not at all easy Michael, but I'll hazard a guess at Golden Rod as Rondo in G ?
          And perhaps Sky Mesa is Mesa in C. We can almost get Archduke, out of Rachel Alexandra.
          Calvin Borel, I can make out the word violin , but perhaps I am way off there.
          🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Not at all easy Michael, but I'll hazard a guess at Golden Rod as Rondo in G ?
            And perhaps Sky Mesa is Mesa in C. We can almost get Archduke, out of Rachel Alexandra.
            Calvin Borel, I can make out the word violin , but perhaps I am way off there.
            I've also just noticed that Louisville, Kentucky is mentioned, and Beethoven sometimes called himself "Louis van Beethoven".
            There is a huge message in this news item and it is only gradually revealing itself.

Comment

Working...
            X