This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!!!

I really could not think of a title for this thread. Words fail me. Here is the news item:

NewsWax

Rap music fan sentenced to Beethoven, pays fine instead

When 24-year-old Andrew Vactor of Urbana, Ohio, United States was convicted of violating the city’s noise ordinance, Judge Susan J. Fornof-Lippencott offered to reduce the normal fine of $150 to $35 if he agreed to listen to 20 hours of classical music. Fifteen minutes into the sentence the rap music fan changed his mind and paid the full fine in order to end his probation.

The sentence would have included selections from Ludwig van Beethoven, Frédéric Chopin, Johann Sebastian Bach, and Claude Debussy. Chief Probation Officer Glenda Runkle says the department keeps three CDs for this type of sentence.

Champaign County Municipal Court Judge Fornof-Lippencott told the Springfield News-Sun she often assigns creative sentencing options. “I think a lot of people don’t like to be forced to listen to music. And I think sometimes the defendants … are put in the position the general public is put in.” She also selects episodes of Dr. Phil and The Oprah Winfrey Show that she considers relevant to other misdemeanor offenses and supplies copies to the probation department. “The idea, hopefully, is that it will inspire people not to come back for the same violation. It offers an opportunity for them to cut down on their fines and costs and at the same time broaden their horizons.”

Although Judge Fornof-Lippencott hopes these sentences “might enlighten defendants”, Vactor denied that musical taste paid a role in his decision to pay the full fine. Vactor, a student at Urbana University, told reporters he needed to leave for basketball team practice. “I didn’t have the time to deal with that,” he said. “I just decided to pay the fine.”

That makes me wonder about what grey matter might reside between his ears, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Rap music fan sentenced to Beethoven, pays fine instead.
      figures
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

As if further proof were needed that the world has gone completely bonkers with all the financial turmoil, listening to Classical music has become a punishment and deterrent!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, let us put the shoe on the other foot. If I had a choice between a $150 fine and a $35 fine coupled with 20 hours of listening to pop music, I would pay the $150. If you change the pop music for the music of Bartok, I would pay $300.
          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I would pay the $150.00 if the music in question was rap music!
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Well I am a Senior Probation Officer in central London and have been in the service for thirty years. Until reading this, I thought I had seen it all

The mind boggles........

Judith, my brightest of colleagues, give us your view too please!!!
              Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                Well, let us put the shoe on the other foot. If I had a choice between a $150 fine and a $35 fine coupled with 20 hours of listening to pop music, I would pay the $150. If you change the pop music for the music of Bartok, I would pay $300.
                A valid point! Twenty hours of rap would indeed be beyond my endurance. But I quite like Bartok ...... and pop music up to 1970 (which dates me very badly).

Comment

Maybe the poor lad thought he'd have to sit through 20 hours of folksong arrangements IN ONE SITTING!!

Comment

who conducted the classics?

and if the conductor of the Beethoven music was anything like say karl Bohm then I would gladly have paid ten times the fine!

A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic View Post
                      and if the conductor of the Beethoven music was anything like say karl Bohm then I would gladly have paid ten times the fine!

Heresy! You should be sentenced to 20 hours of listening to Karl Bohm conducting the Ninth!
                      His "Pastoral" and "Fidelio" are my personal favourites and I even have a sneaking admiration for that s-l-o-w Ninth.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                        Maybe the poor lad thought he'd have to sit through 20 hours of folksong arrangements IN ONE SITTING!!
                        I refuse to dignify this posting with a reply. I am not going to point out yet again, PDG, what treasures you are missing out on. To casually dismiss these works ......
                        You have me splitting infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions ...
                        So, I am not going to reply to your colon eek colon

You're not going to rattle me! Oh, no!
                        I am not even going to post this message ............

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic View Post

Just as a useless piece of trivial information, the actor who played Beethoven in the 1962 Disney film "The Magnificent Rebel" was called Karl Boehm. (No relation - to me or the conductor.)

Comment

Just as a useless piece of trivial information, the actor who played Beethoven in the 1962 Disney film "The Magnificent Rebel" was called Karl Boehm. (No relation - to me or the conductor.)
                            Thanks for the trivia Michael! - I remember enjoying the Disney production years ago and could never remember the title!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

[...] You have me splitting infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions ...
                              Are we to consider your 'dangling participles' too, Michael? Are you, too, trying to put me off my lunch?

Comment

Working...
                              X