Aimez-vous Brahms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aimez-vous Brahms?

Can someone answer this to settle an argument? I remember reading somewhere that Brahms did not actually write the famous "Lullaby" but only arranged it from an existing melody. I've googled around a bit but I can't find any reference to this. Did I imagine it?

Wiegenlied (Cradle Song) opus 49 number 4. Brahms gave it an opus number, so it is an original work. To be differentiated from the Hungarian Dances which Brahms did not give an opus number since he only arranged them for piano 4-hands and orchestrated 3 of them.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

And of course he used it in the 2nd Symphony first movt.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
        Wiegenlied (Cradle Song) opus 49 number 4. Brahms gave it an opus number, so it is an original work. To be differentiated from the Hungarian Dances which Brahms did not give an opus number since he only arranged them for piano 4-hands and orchestrated 3 of them.

Thanks, Hofrat!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          And of course he used it in the 2nd Symphony first movt.
          Yes - he does use a very similar theme - and I never spotted it until you mentioned it! Thanks.

Comment

Michael nous a posé une question : "Est-ce que j'aime Brahms?". Voici ma réponse : oui. Néanmoins, je m'en moque si Brahms avait en fait écrit la berceuse ou non.
            Last edited by Quijote; 10-04-2008, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post

Yeah...
                You left out two more "Yeahs", Peter!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  Michael nous a posé une question : "Est-ce que j'aime Brahms?". Voici ma réponse : oui. Néanmoins, je m'en moque si Brahms avait en fait écrit la berceuse ou non.
                  You will have to translate the last sentence, Philip. My thread title might have given the mistaken impression that I speak French, but I was merely quoting the title of Francoise Sagan's novel (which I haven't read, by the way).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    You will have to translate the last sentence, Philip. My thread title might have given the mistaken impression that I speak French, but I was merely quoting the title of Francoise Sagan's novel (which I haven't read, by the way).
                    You are lucky, Michael, that I am in a good mood after the following wines this afternoon with my lunch : Bordeaux Entre Deux Mers (white) and Julienas Cru de Beaujolais (red). My last sentence, translated : "Do I like Brahms? Yes. Nevertheless, I don't give a fig if he wrote the lullaby or not"

Add icon thingie, showing a smiling face.

Comment

Merci beaucoup!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Merci beaucoup!
                        Je t'en prie! (= You're welcome!)

Comment

Working...
                        X