Beethoven on Ground Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven on Ground Zero

It was very fitting that the beautiful Adagio from the Serenade for String Trio in D, Op.8 was performed earlier today by violinist Itzhak Perlman at the site of the 9/11 attacks.

The performance may be viewed here. It starts at the 2:00 minute mark. (Just excuse the over-amplified cello.)

With best wishes,
    Zevy

Thanks for posting this. I think this one of Beethoven's most beautiful melodies but it's not very well known so I am amazed to find that it was chosen for the 9/11 remembrance. With its alternating sadness and elation, it was an excellent choice.

Comment

Dear Zevy.

Thank you for posting this information. Without you, living in Sydney,
      Australia as I do, I would not have known about this most fitting tribute.

Agnes.

Comment

Beethoven at Ground Zero

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
        It was very fitting that the beautiful Adagio from the Serenade for String Trio in D, Op.8 was performed earlier today by violinist Itzhak Perlman at the site of the 9/11 attacks.

The performance may be viewed here. It starts at the 2:00 minute mark. (Just excuse the over-amplified cello.)

With best wishes,
        Thank you, Zevy, for posting this information. Without you, living in Australia
        as I do, I would not have known about this most fitting tribute.
        Regards,
        Agnes.

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes Selby View Post
          Thank you, Zevy, for posting this information. Without you, living in Australia
          as I do, I would not have known about this most fitting tribute.
          Regards,
          Agnes.
          It is my honor and pleasure. It has been a while - ever since that other forum...

All the best,
          Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Thanks for posting this. I think this one of Beethoven's most beautiful melodies but it's not very well known so I am amazed to find that it was chosen for the 9/11 remembrance. With its alternating sadness and elation, it was an excellent choice.
            Hi Michael. I don't quite understand the happy, skipping sequence being regarded as appropriate here? But certainly the adagio sections are wonderfully thought-provoking.

And slightly off-topic here, but don't you think the closing bars of those sections remind us of the theme music to the classic '60s TV series, The Outer Limits??...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              Hi Michael. I don't quite understand the happy, skipping sequence being regarded as appropriate here? But certainly the adagio sections are wonderfully thought-provoking.
              And slightly off-topic here, but don't you think the closing bars of those sections remind us of the theme music to the classic '60s TV series, The Outer Limits??...

I just meant that it wasn't all doom and gloom (or maybe it should be?)
              I bought "The Outer Limits" two months ago! The whole first series for about ten quid. Without digging them out, I think I know what you mean - if you are referring to the end of the fast section?

Comment

No, Michael, the closing credits sound uncannily like the closing moments of the slow passages. And I'm assuming you bought the 1963/64 series, not the 1990s re-invention?

And BTW, congrats on reaching 1,000 posts!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                  No, Michael, the closing credits sound uncannily like the closing moments of the slow passages. And I'm assuming you bought the 1963/64 series, not the 1990s re-invention?

And BTW, congrats on reaching 1,000 posts!
                  Yes, it's the old black and white series. I must listen to the closing credits. Never even noticed I had reached my thousandth post. Is there a cash prize?

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post

With best wishes,

Thank you Zevy, such a beautiful melody and very moving.
                    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                      Thank you Zevy, such a beautiful melody and very moving.
                      Hello Zevy and Megan. I checked out the link Zevy gave : we may indeed excuse the over-amplified 'cello (shoot the soundman/woman); we may not forgive the 'cello - poor intonation, poor bowing (shoot the 'cellist). But maybe such comments as mine are not appropriate given the context. Sorry. But good or poor (professional) playing needs commenting on.

Comment

Yes. And Perlman's bow-tie was slightly askew as well. Tut Tut! Such lowering of standards will never do...

Comment

Working...
                        X