Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight I listened to Solti's recording of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The finale really caught my attention as it is quite charged with energy. This was very enjoyable, from beginning to end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      This morning I've been listening to the first three Beethoven Cello Sonatas (Lynn Harrell and Vladimir Ashkenazy). I found the first two to be very much alike in terms of how they are constructed. All three are very enjoyable!

Megan, how was the Barber Concerto? I've liked about everything I've heard from Barber, but unfortunately I haven't heard much at all.

Sorrano,

What I have heard of Barber I have liked also.
      You are most probably familiar with Barber's Adagio for strings which is most beautiful also.

The first time I heard his violin concerto no.14 , I found the first two movements most arresting and was carried along with the graceful , lyrical and sweet and restrained emotion until the grand finale, which to me as a novice, didn't seem to go with the previous movements, suddenly changes in tone, launching into this agitated rythmic thrust like fireworks. It interests me how the main theme develops into the finale.
      I was entranced by the whole piece when I first heard it.
      Last edited by Megan; 11-03-2008, 12:36 PM.
      🎹

Comment

Beethoven - Symphony No. 7, conducted by David Zinman.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Beethoven - Symphony No. 7, conducted by David Zinman.
          Yes I like his set. Have you got the Haydn symphonies yet? I'm working my way through them (again!) and although not consistent, there are some real gems in the early and middle works.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Yes I like his set. Have you got the Haydn symphonies yet? I'm working my way through them (again!) and although not consistent, there are some real gems in the early and middle works.
            No, I haven't gotten them yet. I've been rather busy lately, and the idea of having so much new music to listen to is a bit overwhelming! But I suppose I should at least get the set, even if I don't dive into it right away...if I can help it!

Comment

Brahms' neglected double concerto which I think is a very fine work.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've been listening to Beethoven's Cello Sonatas lately, then added the Egmont overture (Toscanini). I ordered the Raff Symphonies (The Seasons) but it looks like the company I ordered them from isn't sending them. Bummer!

Comment

Maria Yudina...

I have been listening to Maria Yudina playing different pieces. She is phenomenal, I think. She doesn't sound so structured, which is probably good for Beethoven, but at the same time she is very much so. Her level of realness is very much so. As of now I am thinking that her playing of Beethoven is probably the best in the 20th century, am I wrong for saying this?

Any thoughts on this phenomenal and spiritual woman would be great? I would really like to hear what you all think of her?

Now, why can't more women be as she was, ?

here is a link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfbjXVawNY
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    I have been listening to Maria Yudina playing different pieces. She is phenomenal, I think. She doesn't sound so structured, which is probably good for Beethoven, but at the same time she is very much so. Her level of realness is very much so. As of now I am thinking that her playing of Beethoven is probably the best in the 20th century, am I wrong for saying this?

Any thoughts on this phenomenal and spiritual woman would be great? I would really like to hear what you all think of her?

Now, why can't more women be as she was, ?

here is a link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfbjXVawNY
                    Indeed she was a remarkable woman and it is a shame that she isn't better known along with another fine unfamiliar name from the soviet era, Sofronitsky. As to her being the best Beethoven interpreter of the 20th century, well there have been many great interpreters and usually Schnabel is held up as the greatest exponent. I think at that sort of level it comes down to personal preference. I don't think she recorded all the Beethoven sonatas (as Schnabel did) so comparisons based on a few works are hard to make. I very much enjoyed her Op.111 and thank you for posting the link.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, thank you for knowledge, as always. I didn't know that she was not that well known, that is shame.

Comment

Peter, thank you for knowledge, as always. I didn't know that she was not that well known, that is shame.
                        No Preston you do me too much honour - if anything it demonstrates my ignorance not knowledge! I simply meant she wasn't so well known in the west as other soviet pianists such as Gilels and Richter. Another pianist who may interest you is her compatriot and friend Sofronitsky who was regarded in Russia as the greatest pianist of his generation - again he never toured extensively in the west and was therefore relatively unknown until recordings became available.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yesterday I was listening to Toscanini's interpretation of the Missa Solemnis. It is second to the Bernstein one, done in the early 60's.

Comment

Peter, nonsense, give yourself some credit. Anyway, I will have to look into Sofronitsky.

Still listening to Maria Yudina- playing Pictures at an Exhibition.

Comment

Peter, nonsense, give yourself some credit. Anyway, I will have to look into Sofronitsky.

Still listening to Maria Yudina- playing Pictures at an Exhibition.
                              Very kind of you Preston but I am concious of how little I do know - in fact the older you get you realise this more (and I'm only in my 40's!!). A friend of mine gave a terrific performance of Mussorgksy's Pictures - truly stunning when played that well. Sofronitsky left few recordings but he was particularly renowned as a Scriabin interpreter (his father-in-law whom he never actually met). This thread will close now as it's reached our 5 page limit, but I'll open up another one for continuation.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X