Brendel's London Adieux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brendel's London Adieux

Alfred Brendel gave a sublime farewell to the London stage with a very classical programme - Haydn, Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be there but have had reports from my spies that he achieved wonders especially in the last Schubert sonata.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...on-857518.html
    'Man know thyself'

Looks to be the same music he played at his last U.S. concert, which I did attend. He is my favorite pianist, especially for Beethoven. So long, Alfred, you brought us much joy, and will continue to do so through the magnificent recordings you have left us.

Comment

There have been discussions from time to time here about the definitive interpreter for Beethoven's piano music and various artists have been discussed. For my part, I will turn to Brendel when in doubt regarding a particular "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        There have been discussions from time to time here about the definitive interpreter for Beethoven's piano music and various artists have been discussed. For my part, I will turn to Brendel when in doubt regarding a particular "work".
        I don't think you can go far wrong there!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Interesting article on the post-concert career of Brendel.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6856909.ece
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very interesting, as always with Brendel. Thanks, Peter.

Comment

thanks Peter

I especially like this quote: “Certainly. If you can’t make an audience laugh at the end of Beethoven’s Piano Sonata Op 31 No 1, you should become an organist.”

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                thanks Peter

I especially like this quote: “Certainly. If you can’t make an audience laugh at the end of Beethoven’s Piano Sonata Op 31 No 1, you should become an organist.”
                Yes that's very good! Op.31/1 is not a popular sonata to either play or listen to, yet it abounds with Beethovian humour from the very beginning with his poking fun at pianists who can't keep their hands together!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes. I was first introduced to it when it came as an example with Encore, the first piece of music notation software I bought long ago. It was such a wonderful, humorous piece that I listened to that MIDI more than any CDs for a time!

Comment

Working...
                  X