Anhang 2 mp3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anhang 2 mp3s

Thanks to Hofrat and Armando Orlandi for presenting these two movements from no.2 of a set of 6 quartets Hess attributed to Beethoven - the authorship however is considered doubtful, but nonetheless they are very enjoyable.

www.kbam.co.uk/anhang2ii.mp3

www.kbam.co.uk/anhang2iii.mp3
    'Man know thyself'

Any thoughts anyone? If they are spurious I think they're still fine music and I wonder who the composer might have been?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I thought they were interesting. In places, they sound like Beethoven, or at least Beethoven-on-the-way. I could definitely give them the benefit of the doubt, as did Hess when he said they were Beethoven's. It would be great to hear all 6 quartets and maybe we will hear themes that Beethoven used later elsewhere, like in his piano quartets.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Thanks to Hofrat and Armando for these. I enjoyed listening to them. They are definately good pieces, but they don't sound much like Beethoven to me.

Honestly, when I was listening to anhang2ii.mp3, I would have sworn it was a MIDI file, but then I heard the applause at the end

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Thanks to Hofrat and Armando for these. I enjoyed listening to them. They are definately good pieces, but they don't sound much like Beethoven to me.

Honestly, when I was listening to anhang2ii.mp3, I would have sworn it was a MIDI file, but then I heard the applause at the end
          I agree, surely it is a midifile!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

It is my understanding that as Armando finishes a movement of these 6 quartets, he has it performed and recorded. So, the music qualities and the sound qualities may not be of commercial levels, but I applaud his efforts to get these unheard little Beethoven gems heard. The number of people doing that at this time can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              I agree, surely it is a midifile!
              Indeed, the second I heard it I thought this is definitely midi. Then is Chris said the applause comes, but it is no doubt midi.

Thanks for sharing these and thanks to the people who helped.

Speaking of midi, what quartet did Beethoven write where the tempo was extremely fast and unplayable, and how fast was it, thanks. I always thought it would be interesting for someone to make a midi file of that quartet and then render it using a library like VSL with the tempo markings Beethoven put, and study the result. I wonder if this has been done yet?
              Last edited by Preston; 06-22-2008, 12:44 AM.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post

Speaking of midi, what quartet did Beethoven write where the tempo was extremely fast and unplayable, and how fast was it, thanks. I always thought it would be interesting for someone to make a midi file of that quartet and then render it using a library like VSL with the tempo markings Beethoven put, and study the result. I wonder if this has been done yet?
                Not sure which work you are referring to, but Beethoven never wrote anything unplayable, only difficult!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Not sure which work you are referring to, but Beethoven never wrote anything unplayable, only difficult!
                  I would have sworen that he wrote and sting quartet where the tempo was so fast, it made it unplayable. It seems I had read that. Guess I am wrong though. I am not thinking of the Hammerklavier, just so you know.

Very true Peter that Beethoven wrote some very difficult works, ! It is amazing that he had such a knowledge of the orchestra that he could use it to its fullest. I find that so amazing.

Comment

I would have sworen that he wrote and sting quartet where the tempo was so fast, it made it unplayable. It seems I had read that. Guess I am wrong though. I am not thinking of the Hammerklavier, just so you know.

Very true Peter that Beethoven wrote some very difficult works, ! It is amazing that he had such a knowledge of the orchestra that he could use it to its fullest. I find that so amazing.
                    As I recall, the Violin Concerto was deemed near unplayable? Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      As I recall, the Violin Concerto was deemed near unplayable? Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?
                      Hm...I can't believe anyone thought the Violin Concerto was unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                        No, thanks though. I guess I was just mistaken.

Comment

No, thanks though. I guess I was just mistaken.
                          The Et resurrexit fugato in the Missa Solemnis Credo isn't exactly unsingable (it's been recorded & performed many times), but when you listen to it -- especially the Eliot Gardiner recording -- you're amazed that anybody, especially an entire chorus, could sing it. They take it at light speed. When I try those passages with my own voice just for fun, I feel as if I had cottonballs in my mouth.

Comment

Hi DavidO;

The choruses that performed Beethoven's 9th symphony often complained of the difficulty of the sung parts. At bar 718 of the 4th movement, the sopranos hold a sustained note on the word "Welt" 8 and a half bars at full fortissimo with no time to prepare. It is a wonder that they did not pass out!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidO View Post
                              The Et resurrexit fugato in the Missa Solemnis Credo isn't exactly unsingable (it's been recorded & performed many times), but when you listen to it -- especially the Eliot Gardiner recording -- you're amazed that anybody, especially an entire chorus, could sing it. They take it at light speed. When I try those passages with my own voice just for fun, I feel as if I had cottonballs in my mouth.
                              I remember hearing that movement in the BBC Beethoven movie. Charles Hazlewood states that it is borderline unsingable.

Comment

Working...
                              X