Barenboim's Triumph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barenboim's Triumph

Daniel Barenboim has been getting unprecedented praise over the past few weeks for his performance of all 32 Beethoven sonatas. Here is a review of the last recital:

Barenboim's Beethoven Will Resound for Decades: Norman Lebrecht

Commentary by Norman Lebrecht

Feb. 19 (Bloomberg) -- There were 3,000 of us who stood and cheered, and three days later we are still trying to understand. Veterans concurred that nothing of its kind had been heard in London since the heyday of Horowitz and Rubinstein.

Daniel Barenboim's concerts were no three-day wonder, no three-week wonder even. They will be remembered for decades. The editor of the Guardian newspaper today described the result as ``beyond perfection.''

After the final chord of Beethoven's 32nd piano sonata at the Royal Festival Hall on Sunday, there followed 15 long seconds of complete silence before the audience leapt to their feet in ovation and the most riveting event of this musical century was declared closed.

In eight recitals over a span of three weeks, Barenboim had been playing the Beethoven sonatas in London as a single coherent entity and with intensity that has commanded attention outside the world of classical music. Barenboim, probably the only classical musician alive who can speak with moral authority on the great issues of the day, understands Beethoven as a composer of hope -- a man who perceives the world and its problems to be, with good will, surmountable.

This would have been reason enough for London to flock to his pulpit, given the leading role he has taken in promoting cultural and political dialogue in the Middle East. ``The Artist as Leader'' was how the series was marketed -- not that it needed any marketing. About 650 people bought tickets to the entire cycle, many of them on the day booking opened. Politicians of every color and leaders of media and industry were conspicuous in the audience.

Extreme Intimacy

Around 150 extra seats were crammed onto the stage, within three feet of the piano. This extreme intimacy added an extra dimension to Barenboim's concentration. From the opening notes, the hall shrunk to the size of a domestic living room.

There was additionally a sense that this event was unique and unrepeatable. Barenboim had declined a radio relay, explaining to one BBC panjandrum that London critics had not always treated him kindly in the past. In a cycle of this magnitude, played from memory, there were bound to be wrong notes -- indeed, there were. Nevertheless, the critical reception was, from the outset, overwhelmed by the Olympian ambition of the enterprise.

Barenboim, 65, first played the cycle in public as a teenager in Tel Aviv and has recorded it twice. But this was neither an athletic feat nor a commercial gift set performed for the sake of comprehensiveness. This was an artist at the summit of his powers approaching the music of life with both wisdom and humility.

Troubled Beethoven

Each program contained sonatas from the three periods of Beethoven's troubled life, early, middle and late. Each sonata was invested by Barenboim with a distinctive character.

In the final recital, the 9th sonata (opus 14/1) was marked by introspective restraint, the 4th (opus 7) was playful and exuberant, the 22nd (opus 54) moderately combative and the climactic opus 111 possessed of a visionary wildness that yielded at the end to a surreal calm.

This was beyond question a contemporary reading -- there were modulations in the opus 14/1 that would not have sounded out of place on a Radiohead album. But it was also an interpretation born of an innate understanding of the composer and his mind.

The closing melody of the opus 7 called to mind a hint of Beethoven's ``Choral Fantasia,'' itself a sketch for the Ninth Symphony, reminding us that everything written by this composer was hewn from the same gigantic mountain and with the same elevated message in mind.

Barenboim seemed to be playing, as the phrase goes, ``well within himself'' -- in the dual sense that he did not make large gestures and that he was preoccupied with interior thoughts.

Extreme Exertion

At certain points his exertion was so extreme that he would hold a chord with his right hand, pedaling heavily, while reaching with his left for a handkerchief to mop the sweat.

I cannot ever recall such sustained audience concentration in so large a space. The young man sitting next to me was attending the first piano recital of his life, drawn to the flame by an article he had read. He barely blinked an eye for two hours.

And when it was over, when the rumpled pianist in dark suit and black shirt returned one last time to the stage to greet his communicants on all four sides, he placed the stool beneath the keyboard and gently shut the lid. Will we ever hear its like again?

(Norman Lebrecht is a critic for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this story: Norman Lebrecht at norman@normanlebrecht.com .

Thanks for that Michael - did anyone here manage to attend any of the recitals?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Wow, sounds like an incredible series of performances. I never found Barenboim's Beethoven Sonatas exceptional (good, though). I wonder if they were recorded?

Comment

And the plaudits continue:

Barenboim's big adventure

It was a match made in heaven: the great pianist Daniel Barenboim playing the complete cycle of Beethoven sonatas over three weeks. Last-minute extra seats prompted queues around the block and a Proms-like community spirit - not to mention the odd scuffle. Ed Vulliamy reports on an exhilarating musical journey

Sunday February 24, 2008
        The Observer

The evening we gathered for the opening of Daniel Barenboim's cycle of Beethoven sonatas for piano - 28 January, it was - feels now like a distant Cape Canaveral for embarkation on a journey no one, even in their justifiably highest expectations, could have foreseen.
        What did Prospero ask for at the end of The Tempest? 'The help of your good hands' to break the spell; but when Barenboim's tempest of a cycle finally ended last Sunday afternoon - with the heart-stopping, redemptive coda to sonata No. 32 Op. 111 - no one dared applaud for what felt like a perpetuity of stunned suspense after the last reverberations had left the piano. Once the spell was broken, we stood for the last time - out of exhilaration, not habit - and a lady from the audience strode across the stage with a bunch of roses, before other fans followed. Then Barenboim placed the stool beneath his Steinway, closed its lid and made as if to dust it off, and give Beethoven the last word.

Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas count, along with his symphonies and string quartets, as a body of work without which it is impossible to imagine the history of music. Written between 1793 and 1823, they revolutionised not only the sonata form but sound itself, spanning most of his creative life (into deafness) and an entire range of human emotion. A complete cycle is a very rare and special occasion, not least when it is due to be played by the extraordinary Barenboim. While Maurizio Pollini played the cycle at the Festival Hall over an entire season in the mid-1990s, Barenboim's long-awaited first cycle in London for three decades was arranged over eight concerts during only three weeks - a gargantuan task for artist and audience - not in chronological order but arranged so that someone attending just one or occasional recitals could contemplate different stages in Beethoven's singularly mighty musical and human trajectory, each night presenting work from Beethoven's 'early', 'middle' and 'late' periods. And for all the expectation, among critics and public, pros and punters like me, the performances surpassed it by far.
        There is a world of difference in a concert hall between infuriatingly uninformed applause between movements by people who think a piece has ended, and gratifyingly spontaneous applause between movements which is an outburst of feeling and communication with the stage, and which occurred often. Some critics were surprised that Barenboim was playing the cycle with greater intensity than when he was young. Rock critics said similar about Led Zeppelin in December, but why shouldn't musicians play more cogently aged 65? Why should not Barenboim the 'Artist as Leader' - as his series of accompanying talks was entitled - play Beethoven more insightfully now that he looks more like a wise owl than a wunderkind?

Something else unexpected happened for some of us on this adventure. With the cycle sold out, the Festival Hall put on sale additional, unallocated seating behind Barenboim on the stage itself - at £15, cheapest in the house. On the first night, to make the front row of these chairs arranged where the orchestra would usually sit, one could roll up shortly before doors opened. But once the secret was out, you could only grab one of these prime seats by arriving at least 90 minutes ahead. A buzz and community of sorts evolved, sometimes collegial - excited chatting with a woman next to me taking her mother for a birthday treat - and sometimes very un-Beethovenian, as people queuing held places for late-arriving friends. One night, a young man in front of me holding the Times was also holding many places for others; when they turned up I had to insult them into allowing my lady companion and I to go ahead of them, without which we wouldn't have made the coveted front row.

From a distance of three metres, as though at a private recital, we could follow Barenboim's every expression, every ecstatic grimace of concentration, every rhapsodic skyward roll of the eyes, which sometimes fixed on the ceiling as he played. We could watch every nano-movement of those small, strong hands. There was stamping and kicking - even a cycling motion - to punctuate the sound like Barenboim's personal percussive markings on the score, and there were plenty of those in the music too. At one moment during the 'allegro ma non troppo' of the 'Appassionata' Op. 57, Barenboim thundered out a chromatically fulgent chord, sat suddenly upright and stared right at us, eyeball to eyeball, as though to say: 'did you hear that?', causing an audible intake of collective breath.

This fourth (my third) concert was the night the cycle reached critical mass. It seemed inconceivable that the less passionate 'Waldstein' could match it, but it did, generating a slightly stupefied euphoria.

These are tough times for romanticism, especially of the revolutionary and redemptive kind that triumphs in the music Beethoven wrote for keyboard. In a post-modern world of ersatz fragmentation, that profoundly Beethovenian sense of the 'human spirit' endures, but demonstrations of its greatness are rare. Indeed, the very notion of 'human spirituality' that shines within Beethoven's sonatas is seen as oxymoronic at a time when religion becomes dogma and materialism Godless. The politics of romantic revolutionary compassion that fire Beethoven's music hardly inform a zeitgeist wherein politics amount to little more than vainglory and greed, gift-wrapped in toxic babble.

Athough so familiar, Beethoven is, in this way, estranged and this is doubtless one of the reasons why people were compelled and propelled, night after night, into and through the adventure of this cycle, and why so many other hundreds, seeking tickets, were turned away or watched the emergency live screen relay laid on in the Clore Ballroom.

In the Beethovenian vacuum of post-modern life, Barenboim becomes at least two things: arguably the only artist capable of such an inspiring and inspired delivery of all 32 sonatas, and a true 'Beethovenian' - a formidable intellect and passionate public exponent of peace, liberty and culture.

I was fortunate that my companions at both the cycle's opening and conclusion were accomplished pianists able to explain things that escape me such as Barenboim's remarkable use of the 'flutter pedal' technique and that these performances were spattered with errors, perhaps because Barenboim is said to practise less than others. But so what (we heartily agreed)? Beethoven's music is a leap of faith; Barenboim took the plunge, and took us with him. This cycle was hallmarked not only by technique, but poignant impetuosity, impulse, iridescence, generosity towards the audience and a way of playing Beethoven that made his music, as my flautist companion one night put it, 'contemporary but timeless'.

Sadly, I couldn't get a ticket for the famous 'Moonlight' sonata and its pairing with the mightier Op. 110, but by then the critical mass was surging towards Beethoven's valedictory Op. 111, for which I was graciously invited into the stalls and - to be brutal about those platform seats - a higher world of acoustic quality. During the interval, a blonde pianist over from Los Angeles for the cycle said she would probably 'have an orgasm' at the sonata's end - no slip of this mystery stranger's tongue, for she repeated her prediction three times and we discussed whether it would be major, minor or in C Minor, Beethoven's most evocative key, like Op. 111 itself. There was no sign of her afterwards.

There is indeed a moment towards the end of Op. 111 when a passage of trills - existential, not decorative - comes to share the music with the deep, far end of the piano across four-and-a-half octaves. It is a moment that Barenboim stretched for what felt like infinity. Indeed, the passage features as a potential eternity in Thomas Mann's Dr Faustus, for to stop time is to make a pact with the Devil, so Mephistopheles insists. Of course, we must proceed, but at this and other potentially eternal moments during Barenboim's Beethoven adventure, it was a tempting offer.

Barenboim: A life

1942 Born in Buenos Aires on November 15 to Russian-Jewish parents. Starts piano lessons with his mother at the age of five.

1950 Performs in his first formal concert in Buenos Aires, aged seven.

1952 Gives his first international performance as a solo pianist, playing concerts in Vienna and Rome.

1967 Makes his debut as a conductor with the Philharmonia Orchestra in London.

2001 Sparks controversy by defying an unofficial ban on performances of Wagner in Israel, conducting a section of the anti-semitic composer's Tristan und Isolde in Jerusalem

2008 Accepts honorary Palestinian citizenship.

(End of news item)

Barenboim did not allow these recitals to be recorded or broadcast.
        I wonder if there is any chance of a glimpse on YouTube? Anything is possible nowadays!
        Last edited by Michael; 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM.

Comment

II live in London and go to the RFH frequently so am berating myself for not having attended these concerts, given the overwhelmingly positive reviews

Is it for certain that Daniel Barenboim did not permit even a recording? I can understand maybe not a video but it is almost inconceivable that there would be no audio recording available at some point for purchase?
          Love from London

Comment

Working...
          X