Pictures of Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of Beethoven

When I see the numerous paintings and sketches of Beethoven, I am amazed how different he looks in some of them - I sometimes wonder if it is the same man the artists have had in front of them.
    Anyone else wondered which portrait or portraits are the best representation of what he actually looked like?

This portrait by Christian Horneman is my favorite one and I had a copy of it painted in oils done back in the 1970s (which hangs proudly on my living room wall):

Last edited by Hollywood; 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM.
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Looks like Timothy Dalton

Comment

Undoubtedly the best representation is the face mask and bust by Klein from 1812.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I like that one too Hollywood. Looks a lot like an actor in Sense and sensibilty currently being shown on BBC.

I think the face mask will be the best representation but with out the detail of his eyes, hair etc, it is difficult to imagine the "person". I like one by Karel le Dake (sorry I can't seem to paste it in here) which has good detail of his pot-marked face and his eyes are just how I imagined they would have been.

Comment

I think Beethoven is the twin of this nice guy!!

Sorry I don't know how I can get the picture larger in here, I've never done it before.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Fanny del Rio; 01-14-2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanny del Rio View Post

Sorry I don't know how I can get the picture larger in here, I've never done it before.

Yes, I agree Fanny,
              This is quite a good likeness .
              Last edited by Megan; 01-14-2008, 07:20 PM.
              🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Fanny del Rio View Post

Who's the guy?

Comment

I like these:

I think there is a resemblence between these, the lifemask, and the Christian Horneman image, too!

Some people think I'm crazy when I say this but, pockmarks and wild hair or not, (if these images are at all accurate) then I think Beethoven was attractive

In the one where his hands and body are visible, the artist seems to agree with the description I read that Beethoven's palms were wide and his fingers were more tapered than most people's.

Incidentally, why didn't they ever make a cast of his hands after his death???

TC
                  Last edited by TiberiaClaudia; 01-15-2008, 12:28 AM. Reason: to make it make sense
                  "He lays entombed in the sepulchre of immortality." -Anonymous

"Wine is both necessary and good for me." -LVB

Comment

Here is where you can see a lot of them, http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...tail.php/14988 .

Here is one of my favorites (It really reminds me of Beethoven. I first saw it in Solomon's Book: Beethoven):
                    Attached Files
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

The portrait by Joseph Mähler is my second favorite. The original painting hangs in the Beethoven museum (at the Pasqualati Haus) here in Vienna:

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Thanks fo r the link Preston.
                        I haven't seen that second one you posted TiberiaClaudia

Here is the link for the Karel de Dake one I mentioned earlier:
                        http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=i437&_seite=1

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiaClaudia View Post

I think there is a resemblence between these, the lifemask, and the Christian Horneman image, too!

Some people think I'm crazy when I say this but, pockmarks and wild hair or not, (if these images are at all accurate) then I think Beethoven was attractive

In the one where his hands and body are visible, the artist seems to agree with the description I read that Beethoven's palms were wide and his fingers were more tapered than most people's.

Incidentally, why didn't they ever make a cast of his hands after his death???

TC
                          TC: Here's a link to a picture of a portrait painted shortly after his death of Beethoven's hands.
                          http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~simo...o_sonatas.html
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                            The portrait by Joseph Mähler is my second favorite. The original painting hangs in the Beethoven museum (at the Pasqualati Haus) here in Vienna:

This is my second favourite portrait of Beethoven also. My first being the portrait from 1820 by Joseph Karl Stieler.
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                              This is my second favourite portrait of Beethoven also. My first being the portrait from 1820 by Joseph Karl Stieler.
                              Surely not the Stieler ,! I have found that too many people fantasize over that, practically, caricature of Beethoven.
                              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                              X