Beethoven's 2nd - The perfect symphony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's 2nd - The perfect symphony?

Earlier this morning, I was listening to this wonderful symphony. The recording was decent, the tempos usually being close to if not right at what Beeethoven had marked (except for the extremely lame performance of the scherzo) and the repeats taken. The only other fault is that in the first movement exposition, the wonderful 2nd subject does not have the needed dynamicism, though it's counterpart in the recapitulation does and do all the subsequent passages like that. Sometimes, I was genuinely scared and\or suprised by the music.

I was following along in the score at the time and I noticed Beethoven's marvelous skill in orchestration. This is a symphony that truly demolishes anything Mahler could ever do to it! The woodwinds especially were well used, and so were the horns and trumpets. Listening to this symphony, I am puzzled that anyone would say that Beethoven couldn't orchestrate well.

I also realized that the structure and development are excellent also. Here as with every other symphony, Beethoven shows his ability to make huge statements out of the smallest of material, his ability to make a very convincing mountain from the smallest of pebbles.

The melodies\motifs were also excellent. They're truly catchy themes that don't get boring after one has hummed them several dozen times.

And most of all, I was struck by the emotional perfection of the symphony. The first and last movements truly are joy coming out of the storm. And as I listened to it, and now sit here writing this, I realized, the 2nd is the perfect symphony. Perfect.

Bob

------------------
    I am not a number, I am a free man!
    Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Nicely observed. Performances of the scherzo are typically lame (my first recording by Karajan was a disaster in this respect, the best by the Hanover band) and usually the slow movement too could do with a little more dynamism - there is more to be found in this movement that at first one would assume. But as you say put this underrated piece against any of the giant symphonies of later years and the 2nd will triumph through its sheer electric vitality and freshness alone. As you say again, a work perfect in itself.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-19-2001).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:

Earlier this morning, I was listening to this wonderful symphony. The recording was decent, the tempos usually being close to if not right at what Beeethoven had marked (except for the extremely lame performance of the scherzo) and the repeats taken. The only other fault is that in the first movement exposition, the wonderful 2nd subject does not have the needed dynamicism, though it's counterpart in the recapitulation does and do all the subsequent passages like that. Sometimes, I was genuinely scared and\or suprised by the music.

I was following along in the score at the time and I noticed Beethoven's marvelous skill in orchestration. This is a symphony that truly demolishes anything Mahler could ever do to it! The woodwinds especially were well used, and so were the horns and trumpets. Listening to this symphony, I am puzzled that anyone would say that Beethoven couldn't orchestrate well.

I also realized that the structure and development are excellent also. Here as with every other symphony, Beethoven shows his ability to make huge statements out of the smallest of material, his ability to make a very convincing mountain from the smallest of pebbles.

The melodies\motifs were also excellent. They're truly catchy themes that don't get boring after one has hummed them several dozen times.

And most of all, I was struck by the emotional perfection of the symphony. The first and last movements truly are joy coming out of the storm. And as I listened to it, and now sit here writing this, I realized, the 2nd is the perfect symphony. Perfect.

Bob
      Wonderfully described, Bob. I felt like I was listening right along with you. Who was the orchestra and conductor of this great piece?
      I have a recording by The London Symphony Orchestra Conductor: Alfred Scholz which I truly enjoy.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Wonderfully described, Bob. I felt like I was listening right along with you. Who was the orchestra and conductor of this great piece?
        I have a recording by The London Symphony Orchestra Conductor: Alfred Scholz which I truly enjoy.

Joy
        Why Joy, no need to go looking in the stores, mine is the London Philharmonic Orchestra, with Alfred Scholz!

Bob

------------------
        I am not a number, I am a free man!
        Some have said I am ripe for the Madhouse. Does that make me Beethoven? No, but it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
          Why Joy, no need to go looking in the stores, mine is the London Philharmonic Orchestra, with Alfred Scholz!

Bob
          Isn't that something? What a coincidence!!
          (I knew that was a good recording)!!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
          X