Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just learnt to play - The Can Can - on my violin.
    Didn't know it was composed by Offenbach.

And with apologies to Beethoven, I can play the Ode to Joy theme .
    Last edited by Megan; 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM.
    🎹

Comment

Beethoven string quartet no. 14

Well done Megan

Wish I could play the Allegro sections of the first movement of the Pathetique faster than half speed

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Leeds View Post
        Beethoven string quartet no. 14

Well done Megan

Wish I could play the Allegro sections of the first movement of the Pathetique faster than half speed

Thanks Phil and welcome to the Beethoven forum.

I don't think I could play the first movement of the Pathetique

I won't make it to the big orchestra's , I am finding it sheer enjoyment just to learn how to play the violin. It is fun playing The Can Can faster and faster. Great warm up exercise .
        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Christ on the Mount of olives - there is much I like in it, but overall I don't think it a success. Any other opinions?
          I'm of the same opinion as you, Peter. I think it's the libretto that is the culprit. Barry Cooper, I think, has even suggested that Beethoven himself had a hand in the writing of the text. I believe the work was given a complete make-over (text-wise) in the late nineteenth century, with a new English translation which altered the story and subject matter while retaining the religious intent. As a result the work became very popular for a time. The final chorus had the words altered to "Hallelujah" and this section became known for years as "Beethoven's Hallelujah Chorus". I can't locate the references for the last few sentences and am writing from memory so this is wide open to correction.
          I await the dreaded words: "You are Wrong ......."

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I'm of the same opinion as you, Peter. I think it's the libretto that is the culprit. Barry Cooper, I think, has even suggested that Beethoven himself had a hand in the writing of the text. I believe the work was given a complete make-over (text-wise) in the late nineteenth century, with a new English translation which altered the story and subject matter while retaining the religious intent. As a result the work became very popular for a time. The final chorus had the words altered to "Hallelujah" and this section became known for years as "Beethoven's Hallelujah Chorus". I can't locate the references for the last few sentences and am writing from memory so this is wide open to correction.
            I await the dreaded words: "You are Wrong ......."
            I've sung the English version of the "Hallelujah". Whether the rest of it has been altered I can't say, but I had supposed what I had sung was simply an English translation.

Comment

I don't understand why this Oratorio is regarded so low. Even Beethoven disregarded it. As for me I love it for there are some wonderful arias, a great duetto and great chorusses. Of course it lacks the spiritual depth of other oratorios like from Mendelssohn, but I think it helped Beethoven to find his way to Fidelio.
              I love the majestic chorus before the Hallelujah chorus. I believe it is strongly inspired by a similiar chorus somewhere at the end of Mozart's La Clemanza di Tito.

Gerd

Comment

By a happy accident I came across a 22 disc set of Stravinsky's works (most conducted by him) and am listening to the Firebird Ballet. Included on this first disc is Scherzo a la Russe, Scherzo fantastique, and Fireworks. Such rich orchestration! Who did Stravinsky study under?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  By a happy accident I came across a 22 disc set of Stravinsky's works (most conducted by him) and am listening to the Firebird Ballet. Included on this first disc is Scherzo a la Russe, Scherzo fantastique, and Fireworks. Such rich orchestration! Who did Stravinsky study under?
                  Rimsky-Korsakov, so it's no wonder!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Rimsky-Korsakov, so it's no wonder!
                    That was my first guess. As I listen to more of Stravinsky I'm sure that there will be more rewards.

Comment

Today I listened to Petrushka and Rite of Spring. Very nicely done by the Columbia Symphony Orchestra with Igor Stravinsky conducting. Performance was very sharp and very precise and quite exciting!

Comment

Beethoven's Op. nos 3 and 4. No.3 really is a delightfully sunny piece which I listened to with the Alexander quartet from my new Sony collection. I'd forgotten just quite how magnificent no.4 in C minor is.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

With a nice glass of Saint Emilion Grand Cru (2005, so a bit young, but do I care?) : Beethoven Mass In C, Op. 86. Pure Beethoven of course, but with clear influence from Haydn.

To make a quick point about string quartets : no Haydn, no Beethoven. Haydn quartets are WELL worth listening to.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post

To make a quick point about string quartets : no Haydn, no Beethoven. Haydn quartets are WELL worth listening to.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Beethoven's Op. nos 3 and 4. No.3 really is a delightfully sunny piece which I listened to with the Alexander quartet from my new Sony collection. I'd forgotten just quite how magnificent no.4 in C minor is.
                              Two great works indeed and totally contrasted. The C minor quartet is usually the most criticised of his string quartets - the main problem for pernickety listeners being the overly orchestral texture - but Beethoven had no problem in placing it as Number 4, a rather prominent position, I believe, as Opus 18 would have been regarded as two sets of three. Composers would ensure that their strongest quartet opened each set.
                              It is hard to believe that No. 3 is generally believed to be the first string quartet that Beethoven wrote, but then, when he completed it for publication, he had the String Trios and the quintet arrangement of his Octet under his belt, as well as several preludes and fugues.
                              I have been listening to all the quartets recently having acquired the complete Guarneri set as part of the Brilliant edition. Brilliant indeed!
                              Last edited by Michael; 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Via classical radio Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 1 in C, Op. 15 with Pianist Stephen Kovacevich and the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra with conductor Joseph Swensen.
                                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                                X