Beethoven Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Quotes

New to the forum and perhaps this has been done before. How about some Beethoven Quotes? We know his music which speaks volumes in itself but what about some words from the maestro?
    Last edited by hbalzac4; 11-11-2007, 02:49 AM. Reason: Font size

I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely.

Letter to F G Wegeler, 1801
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

"True art is imperishable and the true artist finds profound
      delight in grand productions of genius."

(March 15, 1823, to Cherubini, to whom he also wrote, "I prize
      your works more than all others written for the stage." The
      letter asked Cherubini to interest himself in obtaining a
      subscription from King Louis XVIII for the Solemn Mass in D).
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven's brother once sent him a New Year's card and signed it proudly, 'Land-owner.' Beethoven turned the card over and sent it back signed, 'Ludwig van Beethoven, Brain-owner.'

Comment

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: steadfastness in the face of trouble."

I also happen to love this Einstein quote:
          "I'm no Einstein".

Comment

"You will have to play a long time yet before you realize that you can not play at all."

(July, 1808. Reported by Rust as having been said to a young man
            who played for Beethoven.)
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.

Beethoven, quoted by Bettina von Arnin, letter to Goethe, 1810
              Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

“Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable, develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”

Comment

"I liked your opera. I think I will put it to music" Beethoven's comment to a fellow composer.

and another,

"What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and will be a thousand princes; there is only one Beethoven. "
                  Last edited by Tod; 11-18-2007, 12:47 AM.
                  “Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable,
                  develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning”
                  LvBeethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
                    Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.

Beethoven, quoted by Bettina von Arnin, letter to Goethe, 1810
                    A dubious source, I believe.

Comment

from a letter to Emilie...

"Do not rob Handel, Haydn, and Mozart of their laurel wreaths. They are entitled to theirs, but I am not yet entitled to one."

"Persevere, do not only practice your art, but endeavor also to fathom it's inner meaning; it deserves this effort."

"For only art and science can raise men to the level of gods."

"The true artist has no pride. He sees unfortunately that art has no limits. He has a vague awareness of how far he is from reaching his goal; and while others may perhaps admire him, he laments that he has not yet reached the point to which his better genius only lights the way for him like a distant sun."

"I should probably prefer to visit you and your family than to visit many rich people who betray themselves with the poverty of their inner selves."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No letter from Beethoven to anyone is more generous, more poignant, and more self-effacing." - Lewis Lockwood.

I feel that this is one of the clearest minded letters... that Beethoven ever wrote, from what I have read. It truly gives us a look into the clarity of Beethoven that we know in his music. And the quotes are phenomenal!!! There is nothing funny about this letter, very serious stuff.

Although if you are looking for quotes, read the letters, the ones with detail, and you will find some pretty fascinating material.
                      Last edited by Preston; 11-19-2007, 12:37 AM.
                      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by al1432 View Post
                        "This is the mark of a really admirable man: steadfastness in the face of trouble."

I also happen to love this Einstein quote:
                        "I'm no Einstein".

That Einstein quote is golden.

Anyways, this is a great thread. Lots of interesting quotes; some I've heard before, but many great ones I have not.

I suppose my fav would be:

"But well I know that God is nearer to me than to other artists; I associate with Him without fear; I have always recognized and understood Him and have no fear for my music- it can meet no evil fate."

Comment

Originally posted by Moonscore View Post
                          I suppose my fav would be:

"But well I know that God is nearer to me than to other artists; I associate with Him without fear; I have always recognized and understood Him and have no fear for my music- it can meet no evil fate."
                          Yes that quote tells us a good bit about Beethoven and his music.
                          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                            Yes that quote tells us a good bit about Beethoven and his music.
                            lol- for as long as I've been stalking these boards w/o posting , I'm not sure if I ever noticed that was you're sig. Actually, I don't remember where I originally read that quote... Perhaps I found it on your signature and simply forgot. I just remember how it glued in my mind. It's so bold and prophetic, it gives me the chill bumps.

Comment

It's worthwhile bearing in mind that Beethoven himself was fond of quotes. He found this in Champollion's "The Paintings of Egypt," where it is set down as an inscription on a temple to the goddess Neith:

"I am that which is. I am all that was, that is, and that shall be. No mortal man has ever lifted the veil of me. He is solely of himself, and to this Only One all things owe their existence."

Beethoven had his copy framed and kept it constantly before him on his writing desk. "The relic was a great treasure in his eyes"--Schindler.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X