Beethoven as antidepressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven as antidepressant

This study comes out of Alzahra University, in Tehran, where a group of researchers, noting that music therapy has already been shown to reduce pain, improve sleep quality, and improve mood in cancer patients underoing therapy and multiple sclerosis patients, wondered if music might alleviate depression as well. It does. They took 56 depressed subjects, had them listen to Beethoven's 3d and 5th piano sonatas for 15 minutes twice a week in a clean, otherwise quiet room -- and saw their depression scores on the standard Beck Depression Scale go up signficantly. No side effects! And music is cheap -- a lifetime of Beethoven for the price of a couple weeks of Prozac.
    'Man know thyself'

Beethoven on the NHS............gets my vote!
    Classic FM's Beethoven for Babies had my son sleeping like a........baby.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

It makes a change from the "Mozart Effect" which I'm sick of reading of.

(I know - a preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.)

Comment

Any info on why they decided to play these piano sonatas? Did they play anything else to another subject group?
        Fidelio

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
          Any info on why they decided to play these piano sonatas?
          I wonder also. The third piano sonata is bright and cheerful but the fifth is the Pathetique, isn't it? The opening chords of that sonata would not be my first choice for lifting depression. Maybe they played only the slow movement.

Comment

No, Michael, it's the first of the 3 works, Op.10. But it's still in C minor (and not the most "uplifting" of Beethoven works). Play them some Schubert - that'll sort 'em out!

Comment

[QUOTE=Peter;37909]They took 56 depressed subjects, had them listen to Beethoven's 3d and 5th piano sonatas for 15 minutes twice a week
              (QUOTE]

Wow! Beethoven only twice a week can do all that? No wonder I'm always in a 'joy'ful mood!
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

(I know - a preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.)
                I'm guilty of that grammar error myself many times! Something you can't get rid of. (oops)!
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                  I'm guilty of that grammar error myself many times! Something you can't get rid of. (oops)!
                  Are you prepositioning me, Joy?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                    No, Michael, it's the first of the 3 works, Op.10. But it's still in C minor (and not the most "uplifting" of Beethoven works). Play them some Schubert - that'll sort 'em out!
                    Of course, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking of.
                    Damn! Another preposition!

Comment

Perhaps Beethoven should have spent a little more time listening to his own music......
                      Fidelio

Comment

tsk tsk

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
                        Perhaps Beethoven should have spent a little more time listening to his own music......
                        How?He was losing his hearing more and more><.

Comment

It was not until 1818 that Beethoven's hearing deteriorated to such an extent he could no longer hear most speech and visitors had to communicate with him by writing in Conversation Books.
                          Fidelio

Comment

He could always hear his music perfectly well in his head, and hear things in it which no one else ever has...

Comment

Indeed, which is how he composed as well....
                              Fidelio

Comment

Working...
                              X