• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Moonlight Sonata" by Paddy Fields?

The silly season ain't over yet, folks. From today's news:

29 Aug 2007
    Source: PA News

Playing Beethoven to growing rice has convinced scientists that plants can "hear", new research has revealed.

The research suggests that crops such as rice, wheat or barley might have real ears.

Plants are known to respond to light, the "touch" of the wind, and the "taste" of nutrients in the soil. There are also many anecdotal stories of plants reacting to sound. Some gardeners believe fading blooms can be revitalised by music, and the Prince of Wales is famous for his belief that plants grow better if you talk to them.

Now scientists say they have identified two genes in rice that respond to certain sounds.

The team, led by Mi-Jeong Jeong, from the National Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology in Suwon, South Korea, began by playing rice plants 14 different classical pieces including Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

At the same time, the researchers monitored the plants for changes in the activity of different genes. They found that the plants did not appreciate music as such, but were sensitive to sounds at specific frequencies.

Two particular genes, rbcS and Ald, became more active when exposed to sounds at 125 and 250 hertz, and less active at 50 hertz. A human being with ideal hearing is sensitive to a frequency range of 20 to 20,000 hertz.

The rice genes reacted to sounds below the pitch of normal human speech, falling within the range of bass instruments and lower piano or guitar notes.

When the tests were conducted in darkness, the genes still responded to sound, New Scientist magazine reported.

The researchers wrote in the journal Molecular Breeding that regulatory DNA associated with one of the genes could be attached to other plant genes, making them sound sensitive. This raised the possibility of farmers switching specific crop genes on or off simply by blasting their fields with sound.

These news feeds are provided by an independent third party and Channel 4 is not responsible or liable to you for the same.

Plants must enjoy the vibrations. Now if they could compose
    and not merely compost
    www.johnakarr.com

Comment

Actually that was quite interesting. It's been said for years that plants to better when you 'talk' to them so why not respond to certain music and levels of sound?? Sounds reasonable to me. I bet they wouldn't do so well if bombarded by hard rock or rap!!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I don't talk to plants, but I do talk to animals.

-Dr. Doolittle.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          I don't talk to plants, but I do talk to animals.

-Dr. Doolittle.
          Yes, I love "My Fair Lady" too.

Comment

An experiment was conducted at BYU by Professor Reid Nibley in the '70's or early '80's. What I recall is that when subjected to rock music the plants shriveled and eventually died. They thrived on classical music and in fact grew in the direction the music came from. As I recall Bach was particularly beneficial to them.

Comment

Well, yes, Sorrano, no Baching up the wrong tree there...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Yes, I love "My Fair Lady" too.
                Hey Michael! How ungallant. Eliza did not look like a pullme-pushyou...

Comment

Working...
                X