Barenboim and du Pre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barenboim and du Pre

I have an excellent 2 CD collection of Daniel Barenboim and Jacqueline du Pre called Beethoven Cello Sonatas and Variations.

They (Barenboim and du Pre) were supposedly dating before her death, and perhaps it's the writer in me doing a little reaching, but their instrumental play perhaps reflects their relationship at the time.

In any case, I have been searching for more obscure works of the great master composer, and this one I can listen to for weeks as background during daily writing sessions. btw, Beethoven is the best music to write to, bar none. My collection is no doubt modest compared to some of you, but it offers a decent range all the same.

Just thought I'd pass that on ...
    www.johnakarr.com

They were married...but what I got of it was that their were some problems in their marriage...barenboim didn't remarry did he?

Comment

Hi John. They were more than just dating, they were actually married! I wouldn't call these works "obscure" except perhaps the Kakadu Variations. How do you mean, "Beethoven is good to write to"?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
        Hi John. They were more than just dating, they were actually married! I wouldn't call these works "obscure" except perhaps the Kakadu Variations. How do you mean, "Beethoven is good to write to"?
        He's good to do anything to, but especially listen. I expect he means inspirational.

If you like those cello sonatas, John, I would suggest, also by them along with Pinchas Zukerman on violin, the 3 disk set of Beethoven's piano trios. Recorded when they were all "fresh faces", they have great joie de vivre which they bring to this music. Great companion set to the one you have.

This one here: http://tinyurl.com/yrr8ey
        Last edited by Gurn Blanston; 08-30-2007, 10:49 PM. Reason: Added link
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Well, by obscure I mean they probably don't play it on the local classical station, WCPE in Wake Forest. But then, maybe they have and I just wasn't listening at the time.

I've got several cd's of LVB's piano sonatas ... repeated one or two actually. I've got the more well known ones, commonly referred to as Pathetique, Waldstein, Appasionata, Pastora, Tempest, Moonlight and Les Adieux (did LVB name them?)
          If you've got specific suggestions on others without getting too exhaustive (budget considerations) I'd like to see them.

I guess I like Barenboim's style but have Brendel and others. Barenboim's Diabelli Variations are interesting.

By writing I mean I write fiction and try to get published, more the former than the latter, and normally it's Beethoven playing in the machine overhead when I do so. It kind of lifts part of the mind while the another part focuses on the writing.

LVB had the intensity I seek so often. Grieg is also good but he was not nearly as prolific.
          www.johnakarr.com

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

Well, by obscure I mean they probably don't play it on the local classical station, WCPE in Wake Forest. But then, maybe they have and I just wasn't listening at the time.

I've got several cd's of LVB's piano sonatas ... repeated one or two actually. I've got the more well known ones, commonly referred to as Pathetique, Waldstein, Appasionata, Pastora, Tempest, Moonlight and Les Adieux (did LVB name them?)
            If you've got specific suggestions on others without getting too exhaustive (budget considerations) I'd like to see them.
            Hi Jak,

A few years back we did a series of rare Beethoven works, because incredible as it is, much of Beethoven's music still is rarely performed. If you take a look at this page on my site www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/comp.html
            it lists his works in date order and I have highlighted in bold the major works (which include the 'cello sonatas). I don't know what you are familiar with, but perhaps you might like to try the violin sonatas, maybe the "Spring" Op.24 or the "Kreutzer" Op.47. Then I'd suggest the Archduke trio Op.97 and the "Razumovsky" quartets (no.1 is my favourite).

No Beethoven didn't name most of those sonatas, but he did Les Adieux - except in German "Das Lebewohl" (he was angered by the more popular French title).
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, that list is a great help, thanks. I'll use it to target upcoming purchases.

Kreutzer is awesome ... incredibly intense. I read somewhere that LVB ridiculed the violinist who complained about playing it. I'm not a musician but that piece has got to hurt to play.

I have Archduke. Not sure about Spring.

Not familiar with the Razumovsky quartets but think I'll look to get it first, probably from Amazon.
              www.johnakarr.com

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp View Post
                They were married...but what I got of it was that their were some problems in their marriage...barenboim didn't remarry did he?
                Here's the scoop, "Daniel Barenboim married Jacqueline du Pré at the Western Wall, Jerusalem in 1967. The marriage lasted until her death in 1987. His friendship with musicians Itzhak Perlman, Zubin Mehta, and Pinchas Zukerman, and marriage to du Pré led to the famous film by Christopher Nupen of their Schubert "Trout" Quintet.

Du Pré developed advanced multiple sclerosis and retired in 1973. In the early 1980s, Barenboim began a relationship with the Russian pianist Elena Bashkirova, with whom he had two sons; David Arthur, a manager-writer for the German hip-hop band Level 8, born 1982 in Paris and Michael Barenboim, a violinist, born 1985 in Paris. Both were born prior to Du Pré's death. Barenboim tried to keep the relationship with Bashkirova hidden from Du Pré and believes he succeeded. Barenboim and Bashkirova married in 1988."
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Peter, that list is a great help, thanks. I'll use it to target upcoming purchases.

Kreutzer is awesome ... incredibly intense. I read somewhere that LVB ridiculed the violinist who complained about playing it. I'm not a musician but that piece has got to hurt to play.

I have Archduke. Not sure about Spring.

Not familiar with the Razumovsky quartets but think I'll look to get it first, probably from Amazon.
                  Jak, I envy you as being someone who is hooked on Beethoven and yet still has so much of his music to discover. The Razumovsky quartets are not basic listening to be used as background fodder, IMHO, so you will need to put down your typewriter to fully absorb!! All 3 are great; I currently favour no.3 in C - the coda of the fourth movement kills me every time!

PS. The Kakadu I mentioned earlier are Piano Trio variations, not Cello sonata variations.

Comment

PDG, I am indeed fortunate. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking for them in the future.

Joy, ironically you relay a sad tale. Reality is harsh, but it's a tragedy nonetheless.
                    www.johnakarr.com

Comment

PDG, I am indeed fortunate. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking for them in the future.

Joy, ironically you relay a sad tale. Reality is harsh, but it's a tragedy nonetheless.
                      Jak to start with I would also recommend the quartets Op.18 no.1 (amazing slow movement) and Op.74 then of course the great last quartets - I think the sonatas and the quartets more than the symphonies reveal the incredible journey Beethoven made.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Peter. I'll certainly be returning to this thread when I place my orders

Part of what kept me from purchasing cd's from the stores was not knowing the exact titles and fear of duplication, which I did once anyway. So now I've got a solid acquisition point thanks to you guys
                        www.johnakarr.com

Comment

Just ordered this one:
                          Beethoven: String Quartet Nos. 8 ("Rasumovsky") & 1, Opp. 59/2 & 18/1"
                          Jan Diesselhorst

... looking forward to hearing it
                          www.johnakarr.com

Comment

Just ordered this one:
                            Beethoven: String Quartet Nos. 8 ("Rasumovsky") & 1, Opp. 59/2 & 18/1"
                            Jan Diesselhorst

... looking forward to hearing it
                            A curious pairing, to be sure. If still available, Jak, you might like to consider the Complete Quartets (plus the Quintet, Op.29) on Nimbus Records. 8 x DDD discs in a box for the price of peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                              A curious pairing, to be sure. If still available, Jak, you might like to consider the Complete Quartets (plus the Quintet, Op.29) on Nimbus Records. 8 x DDD discs in a box for the price of peanuts.
                              Yes, an extremely good set. I bought it over ten years ago and it was great value even then.

Comment

Working...
                              X