Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unheardbeethoven updated!!!

To those who haven't checked, it's just been updated for the first time in
    over 2 years with many unknown works from 1800-1802. These include sketches for the op. 18 quartets, op.23 and 24 violin sonatas, op. 43 ballet, and the previously unknown Concertante in D (it's beautiful). Check it out at www.unheardbeethoven.org.

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Comment

Thanks also. I downloaded a short sketch of "St. Patrick's Day".
      I feel immensely proud that Beethoven arranged so many Irish songs. I have mentioned more than once that my home town of Killarney appears in two of his settings so I won't bore you all by mentioning it again!
      (I am checking the emoticons and there doesn't seem to be a Smilie for "smug". Can you fix it, Chris??)

Comment

Glad to see that folks picked up on the update. I know, it was long overdue. We have some nifty things lined up for the next one already, including an mp3 of acclaimed violinist Rachel Barton Pine playing the Hess 46 violin sonata fragments live. Our next main pushes are likely going to be the flute versions of the op. 108 folk songs, and the counterpoint exercises Hess 234-244 that aren't already on the site. And one of these days we need to get the Lamentations of Jeremaiah finished.....The B-A-C-H overture looks hopeless though---too many unconnected ideas, none of them well developed.

Mark Zimmer
        Project Director, The Unheard Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by gardibolt View Post
          And one of these days we need to get the Lamentations of Jeremaiah finished.....The B-A-C-H overture looks hopeless though---too many unconnected ideas, none of them well developed.

Mark Zimmer
          Project Director, The Unheard Beethoven
          All I know about the "Lamentations of Jeremiah" is that portion of the manuscript was shown in "The Beethoven Compendium" but no mention of it is made in the list of works. Is it the earliest manuscript that survives? I wonder is it the accompaniment that Beethoven wrote to try and throw the singers off balance, or is that another work?

Comment

It's the only ms. that survives. But yes, it's his notes for the accompaniment to throw the tenor off balance.

Comment

To those who are interested, we have a new update (a good deal less than two years delay this time). Key features: a symphony by Adrian Gagiu based on the Tenth Symphony sketches, and the world premiere recording of the op. 105 and 107 variations for piano and violin performed by acclaimed violinist Rachel Barton Pine (these were previously recorded in the flute versions, and selected numbers have been recorded for violin, but this is the first time all of the violin version has been recorded). Plus a new song from Paul Reid's Beethoven Song Companion!

Comment

Thanks, Gardibolt. A fantastic website- I have filled several CDs!

Comment

I am just listening to the variation on the Ukraine song (op. 107,7) which is presented here in this new Update. What a gem!!!! Such beautiful melancholy!!
                  Like all the folksongs in op.108 and WOO 154 which have a minor key who just move me so much!

Comment

Working...
                  X