Discovery of a lost Striggio Masterpiece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery of a lost Striggio Masterpiece

A marvellous manuscript of a previously unknown Striggio Motet, Ecce beatam lucem (behold blessed light) has been discovered in the National Library of France in Paris.
    The Mass looks as though it will shed new light on the mysterious and sublime English motet for 40 parts by Tallis, Spem in Alium.
    Listening to bits of the rediscovered Striggio, it sounds very similar to Tallis' Spem in Aluim.
    These are deep waters however, I have always been puzzled why some English musicologists reject what seems to be a fairly obvious connection of the Tallis masterpiece to Italian Renaissance harmony and polyphony.
    A terrific debate rages over the Spem in Alium motet, whether it was composed during the brief reign of Mary Tudor, or the early years of Elizabeth 1st.
    Personally , I would go for a later date on the Tallis, and I think it may well have been composed for a private chapel performance for the leading Catholic nobleman of the time, The Duke of Norfolk.

Judge for yourself, because the newly discovered Striggio Motet is on the Proms tomorrow evening on BBC Radio 3. The bits of it I have heard are simply sublime.

Here is an exerpt >
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-p...019828-3359821
    '
    Last edited by Megan; 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM.
    🎹

Thanks for that Megan - very interesting. Striggio visited London in 1567 which would imply that Tallis wrote his motet soon after - well into Gloriana's reign.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Such beautiful Church music, thanks for that Megan.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

You may also be interested that there is a manuscript in one of the Cambridge Colleges that refers to a conversation in the 1550's between the Duke of [N], thought to be the Duke of Norfolk and Tallis referring to a great Italian master, again thought to be Striggio, when the Duke basically said, why are we English not producing motets to rival the great Italian works.

Some people think that this was the impetus given to Tallis to produce Spem in Alium .
        🎹

Comment

This 40-part motet is just wonderful. In February this year I bought the Huelgas Ensemble performance of some renaissance music and there Striggio's motet strikes - I could say on the level of Spem in alium(, which I have grown to love!). Huelgas Ensemble does of course not sing in the English tradition (you can clearly discern this), but the sheer opulence of tone is amazing!

Comment

Here is the previous thread discussing Striggio Motet, Ecce beatam lucem (behold blessed light)
            🎹

Comment

Working...
            X