Some information is just hard to find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some information is just hard to find!

I have been looking through my library and on the Internet for the last 2 days, trying to find some information about April 7, 1805. This was, of course, the public premiere of the 3rd Symphony. But what I want to know is what other pieces were performed at that concert. Surely it was not all on its own!

I would be grateful if anyone could fill in that blank for me.

Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All I know is that it formed the 2nd half of a benefit concert given by Franz Clement and was presented as a symphony in D# (apparently the practice of naming flat keys as sharp continued into the 19th century in Germany). Beethoven's concession to criticism of its length was that it should in future be performed during the first half of a concert so as not to weary the audience.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      All I know is that it formed the 2nd half of a benefit concert given by Franz Clement and was presented as a symphony in D# (apparently the practice of naming flat keys as sharp continued into the 19th century in Germany). Beethoven's concession to criticism of its length was that it should in future be performed during the first half of a concert so as not to weary the audience.
      Thanks, Peter. That's all I've found, too. That and the review from the Allegemeine... Oh well, I keep looking, you never know.

Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I didn't want to get involved with this question, because my source prefers to keep his special knowledge private. However, as nobody else can provide the information, I shall have to step forward.

This concert was rather heavy with works, as was the custom of the time. In addition to the Eroica premiere, the program included:

Symphony No. 2

Symphony No. 1

Romance for violin & Orchestra (Op.40)

Sonata in A for violin "Kreutzer" (Op.47)

Piano Concerto no.2 in Bb

Piano Concerto no.1 in C

Haydn's "Creation"

Mozart Symphony No. 35 ("Haffner")

Septet in Eb (strings & wind) (Op.20)

Mozart, Symphony No. 40

Leonore Overture No. 2

Mozart, Symphony No. 38 ("Prague")

Piano Concerto No. 3

Cherubini, Requiem in C

My source says there were five other works, but his copy of the program is smudged with a clear fluid (possibly water or tears), and the names of the works cannot be deciphered.
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

good joke chaszz...that's more then 5 hours of musicXDXD

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Beethoven's concession to criticism of its length was that it should in future be performed during the first half of a concert so as not to weary the audience.
            And Beethoven's putative response to the carping voices in the press -- one of the great quotes in music history -- is a hoot: "If I write a symphony an hour long, it will be found short enough."

The voice of Yahweh . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
              I didn't want to get involved with this question, because my source prefers to keep his special knowledge private. However, as nobody else can provide the information, I shall have to step forward.

This concert was rather heavy with works, as was the custom of the time. In addition to the Eroica premiere, the program included:

Symphony No. 2

Symphony No. 1

Romance for violin & Orchestra (Op.40)

Sonata in A for violin "Kreutzer" (Op.47)

Piano Concerto no.2 in Bb

Piano Concerto no.1 in C

Haydn's "Creation"

Mozart Symphony No. 35 ("Haffner")

Septet in Eb (strings & wind) (Op.20)

Mozart, Symphony No. 40

Leonore Overture No. 2

Mozart, Symphony No. 38 ("Prague")

Piano Concerto No. 3

Cherubini, Requiem in C

My source says there were five other works, but his copy of the program is smudged with a clear fluid (possibly water or tears), and the names of the works cannot be deciphered.
              Thanks, Chaszz, I think I can make that work for me. At least it is nothing outré. With this sort of inside information, my new book will be an instant classic, like my current hot hit "The Joyce Hatto Story: Megahits from Whoever"!!

Last edited by Gurn Blanston; 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X