Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always thought that we would all benefit if the main, turgid theme were repeated about half way through, just to remind us exactly what boring planet we started this cosmic journey on. By the end, Beethoven has shown us a whole new universe; a more giant step for mankind than we carbon-based units stepping out onto the moon ever did. In my view...

Comment

Spot on, Peter, as usual!
      Now, about the folksongs...............................

I've just edited this to clear up some possible confusion. PDG is also Peter - but not to be confused with Peter, if you follow me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Spot on, Peter, as usual!
        Now, about the folksongs...............................

I've just edited this to clear up some possible confusion. PDG is also Peter - but not to be confused with Peter, if you follow me.
        Indeed Michael and if you check PDG's profile you'll see he is from sunny England but I'm in dull, rain drenched, gale force Sussex!

Listening to Bach's B minor mass - wonderful to come back to after a recent sojourn through the 20th century and realise something went wrong! Much as I appreciate and like a great deal of 20th century music (it can be thrilling and exciting) but it doesn't move me - give me Bach and Beethoven any day!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Listening to Bach's B minor mass - wonderful to come back to after a recent sojourn through the 20th century and realise something went wrong! Much as I appreciate and like a great deal of 20th century music (it can be thrilling and exciting) but it doesn't move me - give me Bach and Beethoven any day!
          I am embarrassed to say that I do not have a recording of Bach B minor. About thirty years ago we had an annual three-day Bach festival in Killarney and I was secretary for some years. It was quite a big affair and drew performers from round the world, though mostly England and Ireland.
          We have a beautiful cathedral and it was used as one of the venues. I heard the B minor twice in it and it was an unforgettable experience.
          Could you recommend a recording?

Comment

I am embarrassed to say that I do not have a recording of Bach B minor. About thirty years ago we had an annual three-day Bach festival in Killarney and I was secretary for some years. It was quite a big affair and drew performers from round the world, though mostly England and Ireland.
            We have a beautiful cathedral and it was used as one of the venues. I heard the B minor twice in it and it was an unforgettable experience.
            Could you recommend a recording?
            I'm constantly embarrassed by what's missing from my collection! I have a version of the B minor with Staatskapelle Dresden and Peter Schreier on Philips label which I think is excellent. Many rave about Eliot Garndiner's version which I would also like to own.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm constantly embarrassed by what's missing from my collection! I have a version of the B minor with Staatskapelle Dresden and Peter Schreier on Philips label which I think is excellent. Many rave about Eliot Garndiner's version which I would also like to own.
              The Philips version sounds good. Peter Schreier is a fine singer; I have several recordings of his Beethoven lieder.

Comment

The Philips version sounds good. Peter Schreier is a fine singer; I have several recordings of his Beethoven lieder.
                Schreier is the conductor in this version. Before coming to a decision Michael you may find this page helpful http://www.jsbach.org/mass26.html
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ah, thanks for that link, Peter.

I have the Neville Marriner recording on Phillips, & I'm very unhappy with that. My next B Minor Mass purchase will be the Gardiner. However, I also prefer the voices of children singing the final Dona nobis pacem rather than adults.

There is also a wonderful live recording of the complete mass from a university orchestra & choir on the Internet. Unfortunately, it's in less-than-great RealPlayer format. I'll try to find it.

Comment

Schreier is the conductor in this version. Before coming to a decision Michael you may find this page helpful http://www.jsbach.org/mass26.html
                    Yes, thanks also, Peter.

Comment

speaking of Bach...

I have been listening to Bach's violin sonata #1, played by Milstein. It is magnificent, I think. I have never heard a recording of it like this. The way that Milstein plays the sonata is very unique, he does all these things with the violin that I have heard almost no one else do. It is some very touching music, not that there isn't a lot of touching music out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtGoo7X4c4
                      Last edited by Preston; 07-27-2007, 11:14 PM.
                      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Listening to The Philadelphia Orchestra with conductor Christoph Eschenbach
                        perform Beethoven's Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 36.
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'm listening to:
                          • Ravel's "Introduction et Allegro" (Quarteto de Brasilia)
                          • Debussy's "Danses Sacrees et Profanes"

The Ravel can be downloaded for free here:
                          www.musicexpress.com.br/Artista.asp?Artista=108

Comment

Following the proms season on BBC 2 and 4 - last night excellent account of the Enigma Variations and tonight Beethoven's 8th with Schumann's 2nd.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today it's Beethoven's String Quartet No. 4 in C minor published in 1801 as opus 18, no. 4, and was written between 1798 and 1800.

I read it is thought that this quartet may be in part based upon earlier material?

Anyway, an excellent work indeed.
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Been listening to Mozart's, Marriage of Figaro, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...51&ft=1&f=1041 . One part that gets to me is in the fourth act 39:45-42:00. I like the way Salieri describes it in Amadeus, he says something like, "he heard forgiveness filling the room, and everyone that sat there in perfect harmony". I am not exactly sure what he says at the moment.

I feel that it is a very touching part. I do feel forgiveness, and care. It almost makes me cry. I was thinking of someone in my family that I love and it made me think how important they are to me, how much I love them, and how much I should care for them.

I love it, in the part I mentioned, when the woman bellows out, I do not know what she is saying, at 41:10 and 41:25, and it runs through my body. It is kind of hard to describe but it is really neat.

I also like how, the man accompanies the woman and they just weave through each other, with the music, it is great. Peter Schaffer can really write, I say this because of the words that Salieri says.

I really want to learn this part on the piano so that a family member can sing it. If someone would tell me what page it (39:45-42:00) starts on (the page is listed almost every other page in the top left hand corner), in this sheet music, http://imslp.net/images/9/95/Mozart_...cal_Score).pdf . I would be very appreciative, truly. Thank you for anyone that helps, . I am going to get my aunt to teach me how to play it.

Best Regards,
                                Preston
                                Last edited by Preston; 08-10-2007, 04:43 AM.
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X