Classic FM Hall of Fame 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic FM Hall of Fame 2007

Having little to do over this Bank Holiday weekend, I have been keeping an eye on the Classic FM “Hall of Fame”. This poll has been going on for the past fifteen years (maybe more) and I have always referred to it as the “Wolfgang Poll” because a certain composer with that first name has always come out on top mainly due to the number of entries in the Top 300. Mozart has always beaten Beethoven by one or two entries over the years but what never seems to have occurred to the compilers of this list is the fact that Beethoven has always had more entries in the Top Ten than Mozart.
    Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto (not a bad piece incidentally) has always come out ahead of any of Beethoven’s entries, but what the compilers have failed to notice is that Beethoven’ votes have always been split due to the choice of material.
    This year Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto has fallen to number 4 and almost all of his entries have fallen dramatically whereas Beethoven’s have risen – and, in fact, he has five entries in the Top Twenty – a fact which the presenter, Simon Bates, had to draw attention to. He said (or words to this effect) “quite properly, Beethoven has more works in the top twenty than anyone else.”
    I know all these polls are rather “childish” (especially when you take into account the fact that not one Beethoven string quartet has managed to find its way in) but I get a rather “childish” thrill out of the fact that our boy is getting recognised.
    I am continually annoyed by the over-representation of Mozart across the media for the past 15 years (mainly due to the coincidences of anniversaries of births and deaths) but our boy has always kept his place without any dates. Now the dates are coming around in our direction: next year will see the 200th anniversary of what must have been the greatest musical event of all time (bar the first performance of the Ninth Symphony) : I mean, of course, the premiere of the 5th Symphony, the 6th Symphony, the 4th Piano Concerto and the Choral Fantasia!! All in a freezing hall in December of 2008!
    Yes, we all know Ludwig is the greatest - but it’s nice to know that the world may know it soon. (They know it – but they need reminding.)

Michael

Yeah, I think everyone is getting slightly "over-Mozarted" after the 2006 anniversary year...still great music (of course!) but I might argue not as durable as Beethoven in some ways.

Also, I prefer Mozart's Clarinet Quintet to the concerto.

Comment

Glad to hear that Ludwig has gotten some positive attention! Thanks for letting us know Michael!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
        Yeah, I think everyone is getting slightly "over-Mozarted" after the 2006 anniversary year...still great music (of course!) but I might argue not as durable as Beethoven in some ways.

Also, I prefer Mozart's Clarinet Quintet to the concerto.

One of the most amazing things about this "poll" is the fact that a composer such as Haydn appears only once - way down the list - with "The Creation". Haydn seems to be the major casualty of the Mozart hype. But, of course, this is Classic FM and the voters can only reflect what they hear.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          But, of course, this is Classic FM and the voters can only reflect what they hear.

Michael
          Precisely and this is why I can't stand classic fm! Aside from the endless mind numbing adverts, the selected excerpts (because a whole work is generally considered too much to cope with), the has been DJs passed on from 70s pop stations who know or care next to nothing about what they're playing makes for a totally unedifying experience.

This probably sounds like a totally stuffy response to a station that I know has in its way done a lot to introduce many people to classical music - hopefully those people will now turn off and go to concerts or buy the cds instead where they may discover there is more to Beethoven's 5th or Mozart's 40th than the first movement.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't know if it's each individual classical stations or if it's location or what but over here, at least in my area, the classical fm is wonderful. They do play entire pieces, they do add in the history of the composers and musical selections and I know they are very professional with classical music backgrounds in education and/or musicians from the symphony and not DJ's from other stations. I personally know one of the announcers and he took me for a tour of the enitre station and it was a wonderful and most educational time.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

In New York City there is only one classical station left, WQXR. They play as much frippery as they can fit in during the day. Mozart at least once an hour, usually a divertimento rather than something more filling. If they play Handel, it's sure to be a concerto grosso from Opus 3; if Bach, a Brandenburg concerto. I don't think I've ever heard a movement from a Bach cantata or oratorio or mass on the station. Beethoven appears rarely.

At night it's more somewhat more nourishing, substantial and adventurous, but in the daytime, one almost might as well be in an elevator listening to Muzak. Uuch!
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
                In New York City there is only one classical station left, WQXR. They play as much frippery as they can fit in during the day. Mozart at least once an hour, usually a divertimento rather than something more filling. If they play Handel, it's sure to be a concerto grosso from Opus 3; if Bach, a Brandenburg concerto. I don't think I've ever heard a movement from a Bach cantata or oratorio or mass on the station. Beethoven appears rarely.

At night it's more somewhat more nourishing, substantial and adventurous, but in the daytime, one almost might as well be in an elevator listening to Muzak. Uuch!
                I sympathise Chaszz - what can be worse than muzak? There should be a law against it!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I am glad to report that I was wrong about Haydn having only one entry in the "Hall of Fame". I think he has about three or four which is poor enough for a composer who IMHO is as good as Mozart, if not better. My favourite symphonies outside of B are Haydn' last and Brahms' first and fourth. A couple of Mozart and Mahlers would come after that.
                  I will say this about Classic FM: they broadcast a decent enough programme in the evenings from about nine to eleven or later, nearly always consisting of complete works. But in the daytime: forget it.
                  Our Irish version, Lyric FM is predictable. I sent them an email suggesting that they might as well call it Mozart FM. It wouldn't be too bad if they did confine themselves to Wolfie but lately they have taken to playing an awful lot of ersatz Gaelic muzak which is Godawful.
                  Then again, our last bulwark against mediocrity, BBC Radio 3 has taken to overdosing itself on so-called "World Music" which is mock Gaelic minus the harp ...........
                  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. I'll put on a CD ....remember them?
                  (not sure what that emoticon is intended to represent but that's the expression on my face ... bemusement?)

Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X