Beethoven's contemporaries mp3s: Ries - The King in Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's contemporaries mp3s: Ries - The King in Israel

For members who have forgotten the password to access this page, please contact either Chris or myself - you could also use the private message facility on this forum.

www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/mp3s.html
    'Man know thyself'

Just to make a few comments about the file, this is the introduction and chorus to the first part (the oratorio being in two).
    Since it's not yet a commercial recording, members wanting more of this oratorio may contact me (please do so by private message).

Also, Ries composed 8 Symphonies - 7 published, one, no one knows why, not.
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

All eight symphonies have been recorded by CPO.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

No one cares?

Yeah, I'm done.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this lovely chorale to our attention. I was stunned by its apparent resemblance in some ways to LVB's A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage. And I enjoyed immeasurably the extract you chose.
          A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

A 4-CD box set of the 8 Ries symphonies recorded by CPO is up for auction on eBay. The auction closes in 2 days.

Comment

beethoven

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              For members who have forgotten the password to access this page, please contact either Chris or myself - you could also use the private message facility on this forum.

www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/mp3s.html
              la musiaca es muy hermosa

Comment

Originally posted by luzcruz View Post
                la musiaca es muy hermosa
                As this is clearly an English speaking forum, please post replies in this language. If your post refers to the mp3 presented in this thread, it is now outdated and the download will not work.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very nice! Thank you for posting that

Comment

Today I received a CD with 2 piano concertos from F.Ries (from 1806 and 1826).
                    I am enthusiastic about the second one of these. It is called "Greetings to the Rhine river". The first movement of this is just fantastic, written in a way I have not heard before with most beautiful themes and magnificent instrumentation and development.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4997712&sr=8-5

I want to get to know more of him. Does anyone knows what can be recommended?

Gerd

Comment

Dear Gerd;

As I wrote earlier, I have all eight of Ries' symphonies. They are fantastic listening. You can hear Beethoven's influence. Naxos has come out with a series of CD's featuring Ries' piano concerti. I was hoping to purchase them on my trip to Sweden, but I had an unfortunate accident and could not get there.

Comment

I recommend a bunch of CPO cds, including the symphonies. This extract I posted here is now available also as a CD, and is my top recommendation of his music.
                        I also suggest you seek Naxos Vol.2 of the concertos.

To give a more detailed list of what I recommend the most (I bought everything I could find, though):
                        On CPO:
                        The oratorio
                        The symphonies
                        The quartets (vol. 1 and 2 so far)
                        The cello sonatas
                        The quintet and sextet
                        The piano quartets
                        On Naxos:
                        The flute quartets
                        Vol.2 (since you already have vol.1) of the concertos
                        On Harmonia Mundi
                        The clarinet sonata (comes with Weber)
                        The horn sonata (comes with Beethoven and Danzi)

I hope you enjoy them!

Comment

I have Ries's clarinet trio (on Naxos) which is good stuff
                          It has with it LvB's clarinet trio (op.38) based on the Septet.
                          Lovely after Sunday dinner listening with a coffee, whiskey and fine cigar

Comment

Working...
                          X