X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Interesting Theory

Pasting in the following news item:

Why state subsidies produce boring music

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted: March 12, 2007
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Ellis Washington

"There are many of them [aristocracy], but only one of us!"

– Beethoven (to poet Goethe)

I recently viewed a wonderful book of the complete works of Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh. I was amazed at how difficult it was for van Gogh to make a living as a painter and how in his letters to his elder brother, Theo (his primary benefactor), he poured out his frustration in eloquent detail of the unbearable realities and hardships of life – frustrations that eventually drove him to despair to such an extent that he cut off his ear. He was committed to an insane asylum where he eventually committed suicide at the young age of 37. Perhaps he had to be half crazy to enter the heavenly gates of Parnassus.

This brings me to the subject of this column: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and three views on the role of government. Haydn was the career bureaucrat/wholly subsidized, Mozart the reluctant bureaucrat/partially subsidized and Beethoven the anti-bureaucrat/non-subsidized. My supposition here is that the more a composer was subsidized or attached to a monarch, aristocrat, archbishop, bureaucrat and the State, the more his music was pedantic, derivative and uninspired. The less subsidized the composer, the more exultant and creative his music became.

Using the example of van Gogh as the archetypal model artist forming his craft in the furnace of affliction, I examined Haydn's background and found some interesting things.

Franz Josef Haydn (1732-1809) had a tumultuous upbringing as a choirboy and self-taught musician; he had little to be envious of in his early years (he left his very poor home at age 5 to study music and never lived with his parents again). However, through much hard work and incessant composing, he was able to land the best music job of his era – court musician at the palace of Prince Esterhazy of the Hapsburg empire in Eisenstadt. He kept this position for about 30 years until shortly before his death.

To me Haydn's music (which I have played throughout my own music career) is structurally sound, harmonious and inventive; however it frequently devolves into being pedantic, effete and light-weight. Nevertheless, his coveted position with the prince characterized him politically speaking as a career bureaucrat wholly subsidized by the State, here, the monarchy.

Haydn sadly had little occasion to be profound, because the prince and his aristocratic friends appreciated music as only entertainment – background noise for their frequent parties and social occasions. Ironically, Haydn's two finest and most exalting compositions were written after his employment with the prince, namely the oratorios "The Seasons" and "The Creation."

Next there is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-91), the reluctant bureaucrat/partially subsidized composer. Unlike Haydn, Mozart was never able to make the transition from being an amusing boy genius to respected court composer of some prince or king, although he spent most of his 35 short years trying to secure that elusive patronage job. This omission in Mozart's resume I contend was really a blessing in disguise. How? Because unlike Haydn, who was virtually imprisoned at Prince Esterhazy's palace in the hinterland of Austria 11 months out of the year, Mozart had been a world traveler since his child prodigy years of the early 1760s when he visited all of the prime centers of music at that time – Paris, London, Brussels, Berlin, Mannheim, Amsterdam, Vienna, even Russia.

Although Mozart wanted the financial security of being a musical bureaucrat like his elder mentor, Haydn, he did not posses the discipline, temperament and political sophistication to achieve this. Ironically, this made Mozart's music more interesting, technically proficient, lively, bursting with lyricism, and on occasion, profound, even sublime – for example his operas "The Magic Flute" and "Don Giovanni," his last three symphonies, and his Requiem Mass and Coronation Mass. However, much of Mozart's music, like his elder mentor, Haydn, is mired in the excesses of the Age of Enlightenment of which he was one of its late children – gallant style, technically brilliant, structurally sound, but provincial, effete, frivolous and insubstantial.

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827), the anti-bureaucrat/non-subsidized composer is by far the most interesting of the three masters both on a psychological and a musical level. When you listen to his music (especially the middle-late periods) you can hardly believe that Beethoven worked during the times of Haydn and Mozart, for his music is that revelatory and triumphant.

Beethoven, unlike his predecessors, had nothing but utter contempt of the monarchy and the hoards of ambitious, treacherous petit bureaucrats that groveled at their feet seeking political patronage and promotion. To Beethoven, a child of the Enlightenment and a man who personified revolution, all monarchs, aristocrats and bureaucrats were mediocrities.

To give you an idea of Beethoven's anti-bureaucracy/non-subsidy approach to music, consider the day Beethoven and Goethe (the greatest poet and literary figure of his day) were going for a walk in Teplitz, Czechoslovakia, in July 1812:

As Beethoven and Goethe walked, some of the nobility passed with their entourage. Goethe politely stepped aside and bowed deferentially to the nobles – while Beethoven, in a gesture entirely typical of him, strode almost defiantly right through their midst, with his hands behind his back and without acknowledging the presence of the nobles, who had no alternative but to give him clear passage. When Goethe asked Beethoven how he could so disrespectfully treat these nobles, the composer replied, again quite characteristically, "There are many of them ['nobles'], but only one of us!"
    So Beethoven and Goethe, by the magnificent works they produced, ascended the steps of Parnassus, while this puffed up diminutive prince and the privileged class he represented have descended into the abyss of obscurity and oblivion where they belong, having done nothing for God or humanity but sat on a throne, looked important and squandered the people's confiscated tax money on excess, irrelevance and vanity.

During the FDR administration (1933-45), America was in a critical economic depression. To generate revenue Roosevelt greatly expanded the federal government, including a department of the arts under the Works Progress Administration. However, FDR's artistic largess and legacy was artificial. Zero percent of these so-called "commissioned" works amounted to anything of lasting value, and few of them stand today or are even remembered. What does this say? When government, the State, monarchs or kings get into "supporting the arts," you usually get derivative or perverse art, miserable music, unremarkable sculpture, ugly architecture, uninspired poetry. This is why there have been no Michelangelos since Michelangelo, no J.S. Bachs or Handels since Bach and Handel, No Rembrandts, van Goghs or Wagners since Rembrandt, van Gogh and Wagner, and lamentably no Beethovens since that magnificent master put down his quill for the last time on his unfinished manuscript, the 10th Symphony, on a cold, stormy, rainy night on March 26, 1827.

I think your theory falls apart on the Haydn side of things and thus, possibly on all levels.

Haydn's music is hardly derivative or un-inspired...it is generally accepted that Haydn was extremely inventive and his music was quite quirky for its time.

Maybe it can be said simply like this: Beethoven was the most genius, then Mozart, then Haydn. Maybe it is all down to musical ability and in the case of Beethoven, the length and time and amount of effort he actually put into composition.

Maybe it has nothing to do with how they saw the establishment. I think in B's case, a lot of his inventiveness had to do with his deafness. He could no longer take musical influence externally and so had to look inward.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Pasting in the following news item:

Why state subsidies produce boring music

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posted: March 12, 2007
      1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Ellis Washington

"There are many of them [aristocracy], but only one of us!"

– Beethoven (to poet Goethe)
      The Beethoven story is totally apocryphal. And the rest of the article is just the jumble of nonsense that comes as no surprise these days. Rex Grossman is right: journalists will never start doing research!

Comment

Define SUBSIDY

"Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827), the anti-bureaucrat/non-subsidized composer .... "

What did you mean by subsidized?

Beethoven was known to have been commissioned by important officials and organizations for a number of his works. Would not such commissions be classified as subsidies???

It appears that the theory needs refinement of its key terms and phrases.

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
          I think your theory falls apart on the Haydn side of things and thus, possibly on all levels.
          Not my theory, folks. Just pasting it on.

Michael

Comment

Yes, sorry about that Michael, I realized later it would not your theory, my apologies.

Comment

I find the entire article to be totally baseless. If the author prefers the Romantic musical idiom to the Classical, why doesn't he just come right out and say so, without picking and choosing "facts" (as Cetto has demonstrated) to conform to a cockeyed theory to prove himself right? Haydn was a brilliant and innovative composer, and about the furthest one can get from "derivative". Mozart was not a great innovator, but probably the greatest adapter and perfecter of styles of all time. Beethoven was... Beethoven. A composer firmly rooted in the tradition to which he was born, but possessed of a genius for creating masterpieces which speak to more people than probably anyone else's. Each speaks in his own voice, with his own strengths and weaknesses, and each is not removable from the context of the time in which he lived and worked. If any of us prefers one to the others, it does not increase or diminish the esteem which is rightly accrued to the remaining two.

Last edited by Gurn Blanston; 03-13-2007, 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
                Yes, sorry about that Michael, I realized later it would not your theory, my apologies.
                No problem, HaydFan. I don't agree with the article either. In fact, over the years, Haydn has risen higher and higher in my estimation. There was a TV programme a few nights ago, "University Challenge" - a quiz involving college students - and one of the rounds was on Haydn. I was delighted to see that the young contenders scored very highly in that round, identifying - by nickname - several of Haydn's symphonies.

Michael

Comment

Now that the author's main thesis has been demolished, allow me to demolish his take on Van Gogh: there is evidence that what drove Van Gogh to suicide was acceptance of his work, not rejection. Just before his death, he had begun to get some recognition. A long, very favorable magazine article seems to have caused him anguish, and he shot himself fatally not long after it was published. It seems his problem might have been partly in being unable to accept success.

Also, forgive me if somebody mentioned this and I didn't notice it, what about Beethoven's annuity?

Where was this article originally published?
                  See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Chaszz does have a point. The annuities that Beethoven received spared him the need to do concert tours where he would have been compelled to compose in a more "bureaucratic" style.
                    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Come to think of it, the annuities also spared Beethoven from the drudgeries of being an "in-house" composer like Haydn. As I pointed out before, the annuities freed Beethoven from concert tours (remember that Beethoven is probably the only major composer of his day that never set foot in Paris, London, or Rome!). Beethoven could stay in the comfort of his home and be Beethoven!
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                        Beethoven could stay in the comfort of his home and be Beethoven!
                        Sometimes, it was probably better this way! (that he stayed at home)

Comment

an interesting theory

Cetto von Cronstorff calls the story about Beethoven and Goethe apocryphal. He/she may want to look at a paper about it in Vol. 14, No. 1 (summer 1999) of the Beethoven Journal. The paper has not since been refuted and in fact has been endorsed by several prominent Beethoven and Bettina von Arnim scholars.

Comment

Beethoven was of course subsidised as Chaszz points out. Firstly his salary from Bonn continued until 1794. Then from 1800-1806 an annuity from Prince Lichnowsky and finally in 1809 the life annuity from Archduke Rudolph, Prince Lobkowitz and Prince Kinsky. Nor can I agree with the author's assessment of Haydn - has he heard the music from the early 1770s, or the late works?
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

That Ellis person is quite irresponsible (and his/her editor too). Think of the many people who have no idea of the absurds he/she is saying and believe it as truth! But the problem is interesting -- how art is influenced by subsidies: is it good, bad or makes no difference at the long run? Or it depends of the conditions? I think we´ll never get to a definite answer... So, even the article being so bad, it was a good idea to post it here.

Something I quite don´t understand is, if LvB considered aristocracy so mediocre, and being so keen of liberty, democracy, self-made noblesse etc., how did he accept to receive annuities from them?

Comment

Working...
                              X