Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven the misanthrope?

Hi all,

it's not so unusual that Beethoven is regarded as an eccentric man and composer. However, he's often thought to have always been a moody, bad-tempered frowning man - many people I know have only such an image of him (even people who are interested in classical music), which is quite surprising to me, considering he was fond of puns and practical jokes, had a sense of humour (although maybe the rough one) and when somebody listens to his wonderful music, they must recognize he was no misanthrope etc.

I am wondering if you have similar experience. I am just 16 (well, will be 17 in april), so forgive me my English then, perhaps I am the youngest here but still a big Beethoven fan so I hope to join this great forum aswell

Welcome Eline. Yes this certainly is the image that most people have of Beethoven and it is one that his biographers seem happy to perpetuate. There is no doubt Beethoven certainly had this side to his nature, but as you point out there was another side completely different. Undoubtedly as his deafness increased in later years and he took less interest in his personal appearance he became more cut off from the outside world and it is this perception of him that has stuck in the public imagination.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Greetings from Beethoven's Heiligenstadt, Eline. Welcome aboard.

Yes it is unfortunate that many people think of Beethoven as being a moody, bad tempered man. If they only knew how witty he could be when need be. My favorite reply from Ludwig was his answer to his brother Nikolaus Johann's "Land owner" signature with Ludwig van Beethoven "Brain owner". Brilliant!
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Welcome Eline. Yes this certainly is the image that most people have of Beethoven and it is one that his biographers seem happy to perpetuate. There is no doubt Beethoven certainly had this side to his nature, but as you point out there was another side completely different. Undoubtedly as his deafness increased in later years and he took less interest in his personal appearance he became more cut off from the outside world and it is this perception of him that has stuck in the public imagination.
        Yes, most people obviously see a picture of a grumpy old man when talking about Beethoven, personally I think it is so common because one can find it quite interesting, that it fits well to a romantic image of an artist and genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
          My favorite reply from Ludwig was his answer to his brother Nikolaus Johann's "Land owner" signature with Ludwig van Beethoven "Brain owner". Brilliant!
          Indeed , it's wonderful!

Comment

In addition to his deafness, Beethoven suffered from stomach ailments.
            He was often in great pain. Deafness isolated him from the rest of humanity, which resulted in loneliness. I can imagine that he often resented the world around him.
            Regards,
            Agnes Selby.

Comment

Originally posted by Agnes Selby View Post
              In addition to his deafness, Beethoven suffered from stomach ailments.
              He was often in great pain. Deafness isolated him from the rest of humanity, which resulted in loneliness. I can imagine that he often resented the world around him.
              Regards,
              Agnes Selby.
              I agree, Beethoven certainly had plenty of reasons to keep away from the outside world and it was not only his deafness that separated him from the human society (although increasing hearing loss must have caused a great deal of his problems with mistrust to people – that's apparent and I understand that) and he had his own inner world which couldn't be disturbed etc, etc.
              I started this topic because people such as music teachers or musicians (for example) are telling me Beethoven's resentment was a result of his own personality and character independently of difficulties of his life. I don't think so - well, I am not saying Beethoven was never moody and rude, of course he was, but I do not think he hated the others because of his nature.

Comment

Dear Eline,

Perhaps your teachers are influenced by the writings of the Romantic era.
                Artists were portrayed as great sufferers only Beethoven's suffering was misinterpreted. Suffering from the ailments Beethoven suffered, it is surprising that he did not go mad. On the contrary, the latest research shows that he was a very strong individual. Even during the last days of his life, when
                his pains required morphine, he rejected it in order to continue to write his music. Much about Beethoven ailments can now be found in the analysis of his hair. You will find excellent references to this matter in many of the past postings on this site.

You need not be troubled by your teachers' opinions because there is much written about Beethoven you can research yourself and I am sure you will come to the correct historical conclusions. You are definitely right to question your teachers' opinions. I did where it concerned Mozart and it was a most pleasurable historical journey.

Kind regards,
                Agnes Selby.

Comment

Working...
                X