Schubert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert

Hello everyone. I have a couple questions on Schubert. The first one concerns the 10th symphony he started to write shortly before he died. I love Brian Newbould's realization of it, it's a wonderful symphony even if Schubert himself did not live long enough to complete it, but as I understand it, all that Schubert himself had completed was a piano sketch of it, correct? Is there a recording available anywhere of this piano sketch being played as Schubert wrote it before dying? I think it would be very interesting to hear.

My other question is, are there recordings available of Schubert's last sonatas (especially D. 960) being played on a piano known to of been used by Schubert himself (for instance, his brother's piano he was able to use the last year of his life, in 1828)? Thanks!

Hi Casey

I can't answer your questions for you but I do have a friend that can. You can google the SIUK (Schubert Institute UK) and find a lot if info or go to www.halftimescores.co.uk and find my friend Richard Morris' page on Schubert that is full of info and see all his memorabilia he has collected. You can also contact him from that page and he can answer all you questions.

Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      Hello everyone. I have a couple questions on Schubert. The first one concerns the 10th symphony he started to write shortly before he died. I love Brian Newbould's realization of it, it's a wonderful symphony even if Schubert himself did not live long enough to complete it, but as I understand it, all that Schubert himself had completed was a piano sketch of it, correct? Is there a recording available anywhere of this piano sketch being played as Schubert wrote it before dying? I think it would be very interesting to hear.

My other question is, are there recordings available of Schubert's last sonatas (especially D. 960) being played on a piano known to of been used by Schubert himself (for instance, his brother's piano he was able to use the last year of his life, in 1828)? Thanks!

The sketch of Schubert's last symphony is not a piano sketch, but a particello with many entries regarding the instrumentation. It cannot be performed, because it simply is not finished. The third movement is just the shell of a movement, it starts out as a scherzo and turns into a finale. There is no ending at all because Schubert obviously realized that he had gotten himself into a formal and structural mess. Gülke and Newbould had to compose long endings of their own.

And Schubert did not need his brother's piano. His father had given him one as a present in 1814.

Comment

Dear Cetto;

I had correspondence with Professor Newbould with respect to the 3rd and closing movement of Schubert's 10th symphony. He agreed with my conclusion that this movement is a rondo, not a scherzo.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff View Post
          The sketch of Schubert's last symphony is not a piano sketch, but a particello with many entries regarding the instrumentation. It cannot be performed, because it simply is not finished. The third movement is just the shell of a movement, it starts out as a scherzo and turns into a finale. There is no ending at all because Schubert obviously realized that he had gotten himself into a formal and structural mess. Gülke and Newbould had to compose long endings of their own.

And Schubert did not need his brother's piano. His father had given him one as a present in 1814.
          Thanks for correcting me on that last symphony movement.

I have read repeatedly that Schubert never owned his own piano because he couldn't afford one. Interesting. Is the piano his father gave him still around?

Comment

Casey;

The score to the Schubert 10th symphony is available from Faber Music.

As for Schubert owning a piano, I have read similiar things as you. It was my understanding that the proceeds from his only public concert (during the last year of his tragically short life) went to purchasing the only piano he owned.
            Last edited by Hofrat; 02-06-2007, 07:29 PM. Reason: Correcting a typo.
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              As for Schubert owning a piano, I have read similiar things as you. It was my understanding that the proceeds from his only public concert (during the last year of his tragically short life) went to purchasing the only piano he owned.

This is a common misunderstanding. The piano that Schubert got from his father is mentioned in Deutsch's Dokumente. It can be seen in Schwind's drawing of Schubert's room from 1821:

http://www.geocities.com/schubertiades/schwind21.jpg
              Last edited by Cetto von Cronstorff; 02-11-2007, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Casey,

it was indeed a piano sketch which Schubert wrote for his symphony. Im happy to have a copy of a faksimilie and the score from Prof. Guelke.

The notes of thes sketches for mov. #1 and #3 you can download as a midi file from

http://www.classicalarchives.com/schubert.html

which I presented there.

The midi from the marvellous mov. #2 I could send you if you want.

Prof. Newbould indeed made a great job for mov. 1 and 3 but mov. 2 was made by Prof. Guelke in a much much more profound way!!!

Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
                  Hi Casey,

it was indeed a piano sketch which Schubert wrote for his symphony. Im happy to have a copy of a faksimilie and the score from Prof. Guelke.

The notes of thes sketches for mov. #1 and #3 you can download as a midi file from

http://www.classicalarchives.com/schubert.html

which I presented there.

The midi from the marvellous mov. #2 I could send you if you want.

Prof. Newbould indeed made a great job for mov. 1 and 3 but mov. 2 was made by Prof. Guelke in a much much more profound way!!!

Gerd
                  Thanks for that link! It's fascinating hearing these piano sketches...I would be interested in that movement 2 midi file...

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                    Thanks for that link! It's fascinating hearing these piano sketches...I would be interested in that movement 2 midi file...
                    well, then I need your email adress,...

By the way, at my website you find the notes of the ingenious beginning of that movement

http://gerdprengel.de/

and a mp3 rendition which follows more the realisation of Prof. Guelke, however rendering only Schubert's notes.

Gerd

Comment

Working...
                    X