What Are You Playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Playing?

As a sort of adjunct to the What Are You Listening To Now thread, I'd like to know what all you pianists, horn players, violinists, cellists, &c., are playing -- particularly pieces by The Big B.

I just started putting some real effort into the Allegretto of the "Tempest." I'm using the Kalmus Piano Library edition. I practice it measure by measure, working out the preferred fingering, keeping it slow & steady. Lots of crossover work here for the hands, which sometimes triggers migraine headaches in me (I'm only partly exaggerating).

So what are you practicing?

Accordion!

I just made a beautiful arrangement of Mozart's aria, "Voi Che Sapete".

http://www.oliveblossoms.com/
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/zevyzions
    http://www.accordionusa.com/news.htm#3
    Zevy

Comment

Some Joplin rags. I was just having a look at "Elite Synchopations." Also was playing around with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, though I don't intend to try to learn the whole thing any time soon, as that will take some serious effort, and I really don't have time for that right now.

Comment

Beethoven Op.109. Bach B minor prelude & fugue book 2, Ravel Sonatine, Brahms Eb minor Intermezzo op.118/6, Chopin and Cramer studies.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm starting to prepare Liszt's La Campanella, Rach's Prelude Op.3 n.2 and a piece of mine.
          "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

I am very much an novice still on the piano, but I am working on Chopin's Prelude #6 and Burgmuller's L'Orage.

Comment

I'm currently playing:
              Beethoven: sonatina in G major op.79, what a Lovely work by our master.
              Bach 2-voiced inventionen
              Heller study op.45 nr.14
              and then some stuff just for fun, like Improvisations, schubert songs...stuff like that

Comment

First let me say, that I feel I am almost completely untalented when it comes to playing music, unfortunately.

Now, I have just finished a simplified version of Beethoven's Ode to Joy for the classical guitar, which is what I play. I got it from http://www.classtab.org/lvb_otj.txt , it is the first one in the list of tablature.

I am now trying Mozart's piano sonata 11, http://www.classtab.org/wam331at.txt , which I have found so far pretty easy. Not the Rondo, though. It is much to hard, for now.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I am currently trying to get to grips with Liszts second book from his years of pilgrimage the Transcendental Studies and Cesar Francks Symphonic Variations.

Comment

First and foremost I'm doing the first two movements from the Op. 22 Sonata by our master, B, which is for my piano jury on Tuesday ...But also working on the rest of hte sonata, a few preludes by Kabalevsky (including the brilliant finale, #24 in d)...

then various other things that are up in the air for my future recital(s); Beethoven's Concerto 3, Op. 37; Ravel Sonatine; Mendelssohn Prelude and Fugue in e minor or Liszt 2nd Legend (St. Francis); possibly sonatina by Canadian Composer David Duke; and possibly some early (er) music, i.e. Handel (Chaconne in G), Scarlatti (Sonatas) or even some pieces by William Byrd.

Basically after my jury is done I can figure out my plan of action with my teacher!

Comment

Originally posted by jman View Post
                      then various other things that are up in the air for my future recital(s); Beethoven's Concerto 3, Op. 37; Ravel Sonatine; Mendelssohn Prelude and Fugue in e minor or Liszt 2nd Legend (St. Francis); possibly sonatina by Canadian Composer David Duke; and possibly some early (er) music, i.e. Handel (Chaconne in G), Scarlatti (Sonatas) or even some pieces by William Byrd.
                      Good luck on the Ravel "Sonatine" -- one of my favorite piano works. Great choice!

Comment

Originally posted by jman View Post
                        First and foremost I'm doing the first two movements from the Op. 22 Sonata by our master, B, which is for my piano jury on Tuesday ...But also working on the rest of hte sonata, a few preludes by Kabalevsky (including the brilliant finale, #24 in d)...

Basically after my jury is done I can figure out my plan of action with my teacher!

Good luck with the jury! I hated those!! How are the Kabalevsky preludes? I've played through some of his easier stuff, sonatinas, etc., and quite like his style.

Comment

Working...
                        X