a few Beethoven pieces I don't recognize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few Beethoven pieces I don't recognize

I've seen reference to four pieces I don't recognize. I checked the website's list of works but couldn't place these few. Does anyone recognize them? An opus number or a WoO number would help.

Allegro and Minuet in G
    An die Hoffnung
    Trio for three Flutes in G Major
    Twelve Variations on a Russian Dance in A Major

1805 - "An die Hoffnung" (Op.32)

12 Variations (A) on a Russian dance from the ballet "Das Waldmädchen" by Wranitzky WoO 71

I don't know of a flute trio but there is a duet in G.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      1805 - "An die Hoffnung" (Op.32)

12 Variations (A) on a Russian dance from the ballet "Das Waldmädchen" by Wranitzky WoO 71

I don't know of a flute trio but there is a duet in G.
      In my Beethoven collection I have An die Hoffnung listed as opus 94. Two editions of the same work or did I make a mistake here?

Comment

Beethoven wrote two settings for "An die Hoffnung:" opus 32 and opus 94.

Is that unidentified work really indicated as "Trio for 3 flutes in G" or is it a "Flute Trio in G?" A "Flute Trio" does not necesarrily mean 3 flutes, rather it could very well mean a flute, 'cello, and piano ensemble, which Beethoven did compose in 1786 as WoO 37.
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I have a recording of a "Trio G-dur fur drei Floten" on a rather strange CD set which I bought many years ago. The piece has been familiar to me for at least 30 years (originally on vinyl) but I have never seen it accompanied by any kind of opus number. It doesn't appear in the "Beethoven Compendium" (which lists a fair amount of spurious works) and the "Complete Beethoven Edition" also ignores it, although it does include its "companion" work, the "Allegro and Minuet in G for Two Flutes" WoO 26.
          The unidentified work is in three movements: Allegro, Andante and Rondo-Allegretto, and lasts about ten minutes. It is similar in style to the Duo mentioned above and may well be genuine but there is a strange lack of documentation. The three flautists on the recording are: Jean-Pierre Rampal, Christian Lorde and Alain Marion.

Michael

Comment

Yes, that's the one: Rampal, Marion, and Larde. I heard it, and it sounds very good to me.

Comment

The Trio for 3 Flutes is Biamonti Anh II #64 (Authorship = Unknown). It has no other catalog listing.

As far as I know, the Rampal recording (on Vox "Complete Chamber Music for Flute") is the only one.

I'm afraid your "Allegro & Minuet in G" has me stumped. Some more info about instrumentation might be a help.

Last edited by Gurn Blanston; 01-27-2007, 12:38 AM. Reason: Add data
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
                The Trio for 3 Flutes is Biamonti Anh II #64 (Authorship = Unknown). It has no other catalog listing.

As far as I know, the Rampal recording (on Vox "Complete Chamber Music for Flute") is the only one.

I'm afraid your "Allegro & Minuet in G" has me stumped. Some more info about instrumentation might be a help.

I think we have the same double CD set. If so, the "Allegro & Minuet in G" is track 7 on the first CD. It appears in the "Complete Beethoven Edition" as "Duo in G for Two Flutes", WoO 26 (1792), although the two short pieces are meant to be independent. There seems to be no doubt about the authenticity of these pieces although the autograph is dated "23 August, midnight" in another hand.

Michael

Comment

Yes, thank you everyone - the Allegro & Minuet in G is the two flute piece.
                  - Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I think we have the same double CD set. If so, the "Allegro & Minuet in G" is track 7 on the first CD. It appears in the "Complete Beethoven Edition" as "Duo in G for Two Flutes", WoO 26 (1792), although the two short pieces are meant to be independent. There seems to be no doubt about the authenticity of these pieces although the autograph is dated "23 August, midnight" in another hand.

Michael
                    Ah yes, Michael. Thanks for the clarification, along with Susan's. For some reason the 2 flute piece didn't ring a bell for me, but in fact you're right. It shows up also in the Consortium Classicum "Complete Wind Chamber Music" and of course in the CBE. As you say, it is strange that the CBE ignored the 3 flute work and yet accepted this one, listening to them it is quite difficult to say "oh, this is clearly Beethoven, while that is a fraud..."

Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This trio for three flutes (Biamonti Catalogo [1968 edition] p.1059, Anh II/64 ) only does exist in a copy in possession of Rampal who in the "Supplement" to the Kinsky-Halm (Kurt Dorfmüller [ed] Beträge zur Beethoven-bibliographie. Studien und Materialien zum Werkverzeichnis von Kinky-Halm, München 1978) p.403 states that there isn't any clue whatsoever that this manuscript has any relationship to Beethoven whatsoever. Rampal's manuscript has got at least three previous owners, but a relationship with Beethoven or members of his circle cannot be proven.
                      Biamonti's remark that the original might be from Bohemian origin so far couldn't be confirmed by Czech or Slowak libraries or archives.

Comment

Working...
                      X