8 January 1788--Archduke Rudolf's birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 January 1788--Archduke Rudolf's birthday

Yesterday we all missed Archduke Rudolf's birthday, 8 January 1788. If my count is accurate, Beethoven dedicated 14 masterpieces to him. And he was Beethoven's only student of composition.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Rudolph first received instruction in composition and piano from the court composer Anton Tayber and was already very accomplished before becoming Beethoven's pupil. The first evidence of his association with Beethoven comes around 1808 with the dedication of the 4th piano concerto (not 1804 as Schindler was possibly mistaken in assuming the piano part of the triple concerto was written for Rudolph). They may well have become acquainted at the concerts given by Prince Lobkowitz where Rudolph was a regular performer. Rudolph assembled a great collection of Beethoven's works which included virtually all the first editions from 1805 on as well as some autographs - in his will these were bequeathed to the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I had the opportunity to meet the catalogger of Archduke Rudolf's works, Professor Susan Kagan, affectionately known in the music world as the "Archduchess!" He left a well crafted body of compositions, some of which one can see Beethoven's corrections on the manuscript. She has recorded several CD's of Rudolf's music.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

What is not generally known, is the fact that Archduke Rudolph was epileptic.
        Beethoven used to pop in at the Archduke's palace unannounced, and sometimes he wasn't allowed to see the Archduke as Rudolph had just suffered one of his fits.

Telling is an entry in Konversationsheft nr.1 (February-March 1818) in which we find on page 11v in the hand of a servant of Rudolph's:

Gestern früh um 5.Uhr hat Sr.K.H. einen anfall von seiner Gewöhnlichen Krankheit bekommen und heute befinden Sie Sich schon etwas besser. Ich werde es Ihnen zu wiessen machen wenn Sie kommen können und Morgen werde ich es Sr Hoheit sagen dass Sie heute hier waren.

(Early Yesterday at 5 His Imperial Highness suffered an attack of his usual illness and now he feels already a bit better. I'll let you know when you can see him and tomorrow I will tell His Highness that you were here to see him)

Comment

Working...
        X