Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent article on Mozart

http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2006/006/9.14.html

I disagree though with the idea that Mozart's music was always gentle, calm and in controlled and relatively quiet balance. In his last works, such as the Requiem and the first movement of Symphony No. 40 and the last movement of No. 41, he was certainly moving into more impassioned territory, a trend that would probably have continued and deepened had he lived longer.

Naturally one of the most intriguing questions is what effect Mozart and Beethoven would have had on each other had Mozart lived longer and they grew and developed at the same time. There might have been a continuing rivalry and mutual influence, something like what happened between Picasso and Matisse. What differences there might have been or NOT been in Beethoven's works is impossible to say, as impossible as trying to guess what Mozart's later work might have been like.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post

I disagree though with the idea that Mozart's music was always gentle, calm and in controlled and relatively quiet balance. In his last works, such as the Requiem and the first movement of Symphony No. 40 and the last movement of No. 41, he was certainly moving into more impassioned territory, a trend that would probably have continued and deepened had he lived longer.

Naturally one of the most intriguing questions is what effect Mozart and Beethoven would have had on each other had Mozart lived longer and they grew and developed at the same time. There might have been a continuing rivalry and mutual influence, something like what happened between Picasso and Matisse. What differences there might have been or NOT been in Beethoven's works is impossible to say, as impossible as trying to guess what Mozart's later work might have been like.
    Certainly is a good article and I agree that the image projected of Mozart's music deserves to be changed, as well as the image of himself.
    I'm reading an old spanish book titled "Mozart by himself" which consist on many of Mozart's letters translated to spanish and (besides having found words by Mozart about certain operas that a certain past frequent contributor of this forum questioned his authorship) there you can find how hard he worked, describing a life far from the sometimes presumed light, socialite life.

Also, in the article there is a passage when the author describes Constanza as a "fall-back choice", when in a letter dated december 15th, 1781 praises Constanza over her cousins and sisters.

Comment

I think that Mr. Pott should continue listening to Mozart's music and stop writing about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff View Post
        I think that Mr. Pott should continue listening to Mozart's music and stop writing about him.
        And what of Mr. Shaw?
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The whole article was redundant and superfluous. As far as Mr. Shaw goes, here is a quote attributed to Sibelius:
          “Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been put up to a critic.”
          Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
            The whole article was redundant and superfluous. As far as Mr. Shaw goes, here is a quote attributed to Sibelius:
            “Pay no attention to what the critics say; no statue has ever been put up to a critic.”
            I am no expert on or fully dedicated fan of Mozart, so for me there is no way the article could have been redundant or superfluous! I think this is an elitist and rather arrogant reaction.

Comment

I think this is an elitist and rather arrogant reaction.
              Sorry if you were offended, Chaszz. I forgot I was posting on the Beethoven site.

Let me reiterate: To a Mozart freak like me, it was old news...

Z
              Zevy

Comment

Sorry if you were offended, Chaszz. I forgot I was posting on the Beethoven site.

Let me reiterate: To a Mozart freak like me, it was old news...

Z
                Apology accepted; no hard feelings.

Comment

It is a good article but as Zevy mentioned, to Mozart lovers, it represents a lot of repetition.

One thing I strongly disagree with and something the author must have gathered from Hildesheimer, is his statement that Constanze was Mozart's second best choice. Indeed, his letters demonstrate how much Mozart loved her.

It is also a fact that without Constanze we would not have the rich
                  inheritance of Mozart's compositions nor the published letters by her second husband, Nissen, which enable us to know Mozart - the man.

Regards,
                  Agnes Selby.

Comment

Brava, Agnes

It's nice to hear from you. Too bad I have to visit the Beethoven site to see your post, if you know what I mean....

All the best,

Zevy
                    Zevy

Comment

I just read that the Mozarteum has put on-line a new Ausgabe!!
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Mozart

It's nice to hear from you. Too bad I have to visit the Beethoven site to see your post, if you know what I mean....

All the best,

Zevy

-------------

Dear Zevy,

You are most welcome to write to me. I have lost your private
                        e-mail address but if you still have mine, please drop me a line.
                        I would love to hear from you.

Regards,
                        Agnes.

Comment

Working...
                        X