Beethoven's A Major Piano Concerto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's A Major Piano Concerto?

(note: I wrote this in a reply to my previous thread, but decided the subject deserves its own thread - sorry for the duplication)

Is anyone familiar with Beethoven's A major piano concerto!!?? Before you call me crazy, check this out: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4485919. Apparently, this work was just recently uncovered in the depths of the British Museum! (How do these things stay hidden for so long?)

Does anyone know if there are references to an A major piano concerto in any of the Beethoven studies?
    Last edited by chris_evans; 12-22-2006, 06:57 PM.

Dear Chris;

I could not open the sound file on the link you supplied.

A "Tempo di Concerto" in D-major was attributed to Beethoven in 1888 by the German musicologist Guido Adler. Adler dated the composition 1788-1793. Many noted musicologists were also convinced that this was a genuine unfinished Beethoven work. In 1925, the "New Beethoven Journal" maintained that this "Tempo di Concerto" fragment belonged to a concerto in D-major opus 15 by the composer Johann Joseph Roesler (1771-1813) that was published in 1809 by Andre.

Since I can not open the sound file, I can not compare it to the recording of the "Tempo di Concerto" that I have.
    Last edited by Hofrat; 12-22-2006, 08:44 PM. Reason: correcting a typo.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Dear Hofrat,

I am pretty certain I have a recording of the work you refer to - "Tempo di Concerto" in D. It is definitely NOT the same music heard on the NPR link provided above.

Brana Records' "The Beethoven Mysteries" release features two works for piano and orchestra in D major (neither of which are Hess 15; if any one album is guilty of confusing the issue of Beethoven's writings for piano and orchestra in D Major, it would be this one). The first, is the familiar piano version of Opus 61, which I have long known of and appreciated. The second work on this recording is the movement I think you are refering to: a work discovered by Alder in 1888, and for which Beethoven's authorship is doubted. It is a 14 minute long concerto movement. (The recording also, incidentally, features Woo6, the B Flat Rondo.)

I hope you can sometime open the link to the A-Major concerto. It worked for me.

Anyone else have success with it?

- Chris

Comment

I very much enjoyed the piece - perhaps Beethoven used material from the other movements for his 2nd (1st) piano concerto which was begun around the same time? I can find no direct reference to the work in either Thayer/Forbes or Cooper. I wonder if anyone will attempt completing the earlier triple concerto in D?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Chris;

I will relay the link to the Unheard Beethoven guys. I know both of them personally and they are quite up to date on these things.

Comment

Dear Chris;

I wrote to Mark Zimmer of the Unheard Beethoven Site. He wrote as follows:

"There are sketches for a Concerto in A in the Kafka Miscellany; I expect that's what he used as a source. But they're pretty scant, and don't even make up a decent continuity, so I suspect it's more Cees than Ludwig."

I hope this helps.

Comment

The description for Biamonti 55 reads as follows:

Sketch for Piano & Orchestra in D Major: intended for a Piano Concerto in A major; authorship: unfinished

Date: 1792-3

No additional comments are supplied, even though they often are. So I can't say it is the one in the "Kafka Miscellany" even though I suspect they are one and the same.

Nothing else I can find is even close.

Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

What a nice Chrismas surprise! Very beautiful! The beauty of the later Beehoven Adagios (especially op. 15) very much can be anticipated. After hearing for the first time the piano quartetts from pretty much the same time a few weeks ago - now this Adagio.... It is so good that still there are some undiscovered gems to be enjoyed. Thank you!

Comment

This concerto exists in a quite extended sketch for a middle movement which can be found in the autograph Miscellany from circa 1786 to 1799, the so-called Kafka sketchbook, which is in the British Museum (Add.Manuscript 29801 ff.39-162), a published as facsimile as well as transcription by Joseph Kerman in 2 volumes in 1970.

The facsimile pages (vol.1): 154r and 154v, the transcription (vol.2) pp. 127-128.

Comment

Working...
                  X