All Mozart, all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Mozart, all the time

Here's an article from today's (14 December, 2006) Washington Post: ENJOY IT!

All Mozart, All the Time -- on the Web and Free
    By Veronika Oleksyn, Associated Press
    Thursday, December 14, 2006; Page C10
    VIENNA -- Mozart is now just a mouse click away.

Mozart maniacs, enthusiasts, students and scholars can access the immortal composer's entire catalogue through a free online database with some 24,000 pages.

The database, available at http://dme.mozarteum.at, also contains more than 8,000 pages of critical commentary published since 1954, said Ulrich Leisinger, head of research at the International Mozart Foundation.

The launch of the Web site this week comes at the close of a year commemorating the 250th anniversary of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's birth -- complete with thousands of concerts, opera performances and exhibitions across Austria.

The site is aimed at scholars, musicians and all music enthusiasts, Leisinger said, noting he hoped it would be of particular use to students in places where musical libraries aren't around the corner.
    "It's a big project. There's nothing comparable in the field of music," Leisinger said.

The foundation -- based in Mozart's birthplace, Salzburg -- also aims to keep updating the database, which was launched with the support of the California-based Packard Humanities Institute.

Next summer, it hopes to make available about 270 letters handwritten by Mozart, 100 original manuscripts and 2,000 pages of texts accompanying many of the vocal works such as operas, Leisinger said.

Since it was launched Monday afternoon, the site has had more than 1 million hits and temporarily experienced technical problems Wednesday because of the strong interest, Leisinger said.

The contents are based on the Neue Mozart Ausgabe, a compilation of Mozart's works and critical commentaries that used to be available solely in paper form and that has been in publication since 1954.

The International Mozart Foundation, in years to come, hopes to incorporate audio files in the site.

Has anyone else had about enough of Mozart already???

I read some of the posts on the Mozart Forum and it makes me sick...I mean, some of the discussions are interesting and informative but some show an obssession with the topic that is frustrating and worn-out...

...come on, Mozart isn't THAT great!

But anyway, thank you for the post Susan, it does sound like an interesting site for reference purposes!

Comment

This sounds great, but I think the same efforts should be made for a titanic database of Beethoven material too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier View Post
        This sounds great, but I think the same efforts should be made for a titanic database of Beethoven material too.
        The titanic database is for Mahler - what we need is an eroical database

: }

Comment

Working...
        X