Schubert Piano Sonata in A major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert Piano Sonata in A major

Which recording would you recommend for Schubert's Piano Sonata in A major (D.959)?

How do you find Pollini's recording on DG?

I have heard a clip of Murray Perahia and I love this version most right now but the problem is, it also comes with D.960 which I already have with Andsnes playing.

ANy suggestions?

I have Brendel's recording of the last 3 Schubert sonatas and it is excellent.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

What about this one by Perahia - you get a great Schumann sonata too:

Comment

Nice Find! This version is not exactly the same as the other one I was listening to, I think on the other recording, Perahia's playing is more clear (ie. the notes are better separated) but the tempo is pretty much the same so maybe I will buy this one unless anyone has any other suggestions.

I listened to Brendel...it was ok but it lacked a certain expressiveness...then again, I only heard a clip...it is so hard to decide what to buy when you can only hear 60 seconds of a movement.

Comment

Another bargain I can recommend is the complete sonatas for £9.49 by Michael Endres - his elegant and refined playing suits Schubert well. For that price you can't go wrong!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Nightklavier View Post
            What about this one by Perahia - you get a great Schumann sonata too:

Is there any explanation as to why this CD has a view of Munich on its cover?

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff View Post
              Is there any explanation as to why this CD has a view of Munich on its cover?
              Because it's a nice picture to put on a cd?

Comment

I bought Uchida's Schubert box set of amazon.co.uk a couple months back for a very reasonable price. All the (completed) sonatas, all the impromptus and a couple sets of Germain dances so a very good deal. I love her playing, intimate, introspective while very passionate.

Comment

I like Uchida's playing of Mozart very much indeed but I don't think I would like her to play Schubert...I am not sure that her playing is expressive enough. I have heard some clips of her playing Schubert and it is technically well done but I am not sure she has the ability to dig down deep inside...

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
                    How do you find Pollini's recording on DG?
                    I haven't listened any other recording but Pollini's. I think it is one of Pollini's best recordings (I'm not very fond of his Chopin despite Rubinstein's praise or his Beethoven), but once again, I can't compare it with any other recording.

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
                      I like Uchida's playing of Mozart very much indeed but I don't think I would like her to play Schubert...I am not sure that her playing is expressive enough. I have heard some clips of her playing Schubert and it is technically well done but I am not sure she has the ability to dig down deep inside...
                      I bought a single cd with Uchida playing Shubert and I quite liked it. She plays the impromptus and I was quite satisfied with that, but it's been awhile so I'd have to review it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X