Grammy Award Nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammy Award Nominations

The Grammy nominations are in and here are the five entries for Best Classical
    Album;

Beethoven, Symphonies 1-9, Haitink, London Symphony orchestra, LSO Live.

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson: Rilke Songs, the Six Realms, Horn Concerto. Peter Serkin, Odense Symphony Orchestra, Bridge records.

Mahler Symphony #7, MichaelTilson Thomas, San Francisco Symphony,

Martha Argerich and Friends: Live from the Lugano festival 2005, EMI Classics,

Mozart: La Clemenza Di Tito, Rene Jacobs, Sergio Foresti, Marie- Claude Chappuis, etc, Freiburg baroque Orchestra (Harmonia Mundi)

The Mahler 7 also was nominated in the best orchestral performance catagory and the Mozart's Clemenza was nominated for best opera recording.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I have to say I don't put much value on these things - maybe it helps to sell more cds though! Mahler 7 is a strange choice as it is the least successful of all his symphonies.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I nominate myself for my powerhouse performance of Fur Elise in my basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
        The Grammy nominations are in and here are the five entries for Best Classical
        Album;

Beethoven, Symphonies 1-9, Haitink, London Symphony orchestra, LSO Live.
        That's an interesting choice because the Haitink effort on the 9 symphonies with the Concertgebow, done a few years ago on the PHILIPS label, was very disappointing. It featured among other things a 9th symphony in which the tenor seemed to be pulled off stage as he hurled the freude schoene etc...

So if anyone has managed to hear this LSO live effort, would they like to share their impression of the effort? For starters, how did the LSO effort measure against the Concertgebouw production?
        A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I nominate myself for my powerhouse performance of Fur Elise in my basement.
          Put it on youtube and let's start the Grammy's. I'll even throw in my sublime interpretation of the Moonlight sonata.

Comment

From the list, I've got the "Argerich and friends" record and in my humble opinion, the main reason for its nomination may be that includes some unusual repertoire. Nice music, nice playing, but nothing special for me, and let's be honest... there's a large amount of records published yearly you could say the same about.

Comment

Working...
            X