I love the Moonlight Sonata!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the Moonlight Sonata!!!

Hello everyone. I found this forum by doing a google and decided to register. I am by no means a Beethovenphile like you guys are and just wanted to say how beautiful the Moonlight Sonata is. I'm a big fan of soul and classic pop music but I've been listening to Beethoven more and more.

I downloaded the Moonlight Sonata off of iTunes and am in love with this song. I'm no good at technical or musical terms but it makes me feel as if I can run a marathon, I know it sounds corny. I don't know if I'm supposed to be happy, if the song is melancholy or if it's about lost love or what. I just know that it literally makes me shake, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what it is about this song that gives me the chills - in a good, how someone put these notes together to make this music,is like magic. He is a genius.

The Mozart Effect claims that listening to Mozart "organizes" the brain and boosts IQ. I think that listening to almost any complex music will do that. You can listen to the same music at different times and get different reactions to it. The mind takes what it needs from music, so the same music that stimulates thinking when you need a stimulus can also relax you when the brain craves relaxation. Whether you listen actively and attentively or just keep music going in the background, music provides just the amount of stimulus or relaxation, "upper" or "downer." So I admire your appreciation of the Sonata, and hope you'll expand your listening pleasures even as you continue to replay your favorites.

Comment

Thanks susanwen. I'm reading through the front page and checking out the listening page. Beethovens life story is very interesting.

Comment

When you talk about getting "the shakes" while you listen to the music there are piece of Beethoven's that I've played over and over again and almost always have the same profound reaction each time I conclude playing them. The novelty never wears out on me. Happy listening!

Comment

Originally posted by ShakeandBeet View Post
          Hello everyone. I found this forum by doing a google and decided to register. I am by no means a Beethovenphile like you guys are and just wanted to say how beautiful the Moonlight Sonata is. I'm a big fan of soul and classic pop music but I've been listening to Beethoven more and more.

I downloaded the Moonlight Sonata off of iTunes and am in love with this song. I'm no good at technical or musical terms but it makes me feel as if I can run a marathon, I know it sounds corny. I don't know if I'm supposed to be happy, if the song is melancholy or if it's about lost love or what. I just know that it literally makes me shake, I'm sitting here trying to figure out what it is about this song that gives me the chills - in a good, how someone put these notes together to make this music,is like magic. He is a genius.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your thoughts. The 'Moonlight' sonata is of course a favourite of many, but generally it is the first movement they are referring to. Perhaps if this appeals to you, you might like to try the slow movement of Beethoven's 5th piano concerto - this is especially beautiful and moving. The slow movement from the Pathetique sonata is another you might like to try.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by ShakeandBeet View Post

I downloaded the Moonlight Sonata off of iTunes and am in love with this song. ... it literally makes me shake ...
            don't let anyone even for a moment suggest that you download the piano sonata that follows the moonlight... that is, piano sonata #15.

if the 14th (moonlight) gives you the shakes, then the very opening phrases of the 15th will give you uncontrollable tremors.

remember... you have been warned!

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

[QUOTE=ShakeandBeet;35067]
              I downloaded the Moonlight Sonata off of iTunes and am in love with this song.QUOTE]

Just for future reference, we do not refer to pieces like these as "songs". In "classical" music, the term song refers to a specific genre that is structures in a similar way to todays songs (ie. a shorter piece of music with lyrics)

We would refer to what you are listening to as a "movement" or a larger work in the genre of a "piano sonata".

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc View Post
                don't let anyone even for a moment suggest that you download the piano sonata that follows the moonlight... that is, piano sonata #15.

if the 14th (moonlight) gives you the shakes, then the very opening phrases of the 15th will give you uncontrollable tremors.

remember... you have been warned!

Ahhh, you just HAD to mention that one! Now I've got the tremors and I haven't even looked at it, yet! That is one of my favorite ones to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc View Post
                  Maybe for you...

...Sorry, I just don't get that...It doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
                    Maybe for you...

...Sorry, I just don't get that...It doesn't seem all that interesting to me.
                    It is perhaps because of its laid back and understated character - that opening is most unusual (though suggested earlier by Clementi's sonatas Op 10/2 and Op.40/3). It is interesting that the sonata (especially the slow movement) was a particular favourite of Beethoven's (according to Czerny he needed no encouragement to play it).
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      It is perhaps because of its laid back and understated character - that opening is most unusual (though suggested earlier by Clementi's sonatas Op 10/2 and Op.40/3). It is interesting that the sonata (especially the slow movement) was a particular favourite of Beethoven's (according to Czerny he needed no encouragement to play it).
                      I certainly don't need any encouragement to play this one! Personally, I get tons more out of it playing than listening, but I realize that not everyone can play it.

Comment

I never learned to play piano (played clarinet all through middle school) but this particular sonata makes me want to learn how! I have to start taking lessons...

Unfortunately I havent done a lot of background reading (biographies of Beethoven, etc) but I just know what I hear. Moonlight is so perfect.

I received the soundtrack to Immortal Beloved this afternoon and have just started listening to it. The Moonlight here is about 4:30. I wish I came from a more informed position about classical music in general and Bethoven to be able to talk about it in technical terms. Simply, its a masterpiece.

Thank you all for your welcomes and corrections and for indulging me in my love for Moonlight Sonata, to me, the world's best piano sonata! Beethoven is a genius!

Comment

[QUOTE=ShakeandBeet;35092]
                          I received the soundtrack to Immortal Beloved this afternoon and have just started listening to it. The Moonlight here is about 4:30. I wish I came from a more informed position about classical music in general and Bethoven to be able to talk about it in technical terms. Simply, its a masterpiece.
                          [QUOTE]

Don't worry if you are not informed about classical music right now...there is always time to learn and this forum is a great place to do it!

If you have any questions just ask away...there are some very knowledgable people here.

What was it Beethoven said about the Moonlight Sonata? "Really, I have written better things!"...and he's right. I, personally, find that I don't listen to the really popular classical pieces very much because I hear them all too often in other places. But certainly, the Moonlight Sonata is a good place to start, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan View Post
                            What was it Beethoven said about the Moonlight Sonata? "Really, I have written better things!"...and he's right. I, personally, find that I don't listen to the really popular classical pieces very much because I hear them all too often in other places. But certainly, the Moonlight Sonata is a good place to start, I suppose.
                            Yes, I believe he said that in reference to the F-sharp major sonata. As superb as the Moonlight is, THAT is truly something special.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the clarification, Chris!

Comment

Working...
                              X