Clear All

Need help identifying Beethoven recording

I need help identifying the pianist and year for this recording of
    Beethoven's Pathetique:

folk.uio.no/jonje/beethovn.mp3

Some clues:

Notice the fast tempo, this first movement is only just over six minutes
    long.

The other tracks on the record were probably Les Adieux and Appassionata.

It might have been recorded in the 60s or 70s, and certainly not later
    than the early 80s. It could be older.

It might be a Deutsche Grammophon recording.

Thanks,

Jon Jenssen

Clickable link:

http://folk.uio.no/jonje/beethovn.mp3

Comment

Sonata number 8 in C-minor opus 13 "Pathetique"

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

*Ahem* Hofrat, he/she wanted to know the pianist and the general date of this recording

Comment

Originally posted by jonje View Post
          I need help identifying the pianist and year for this recording of
          Beethoven's Pathetique:

folk.uio.no/jonje/beethovn.mp3

Some clues:

Notice the fast tempo, this first movement is only just over six minutes
          long.

The other tracks on the record were probably Les Adieux and Appassionata.

It might have been recorded in the 60s or 70s, and certainly not later
          than the early 80s. It could be older.

It might be a Deutsche Grammophon recording.

Thanks,

Jon Jenssen
          Can't help with the recording info, but I enjoyed the performance - thanks for posting it. How did you come across it?
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Can't help with the recording info, but I enjoyed the performance - thanks for posting it. How did you come across it?
            It's a cassette recording of an original recording. The cassette is only marked

Beethoven: Pathetique
            Les Adieux
            Appassionata

Comment

It's a cassette recording of an original recording. The cassette is only marked

Beethoven: Pathetique
              Les Adieux
              Appassionata
              It might be Wilhelm Kempff - I have an old Deutsche Grammaphon recording on cassette of those sonatas but it includes the Pastorale and Moonlight.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

It might be Wilhelm Kempff - I have an old Deutsche Grammaphon recording on cassette of those sonatas but it includes the Pastorale and Moonlight.
                From what I have heard of Kempff it doesn't sound like him. But can you please check if it matches anyway? There might be a slight pitch difference.

Comment

From what I have heard of Kempff it doesn't sound like him. But can you please check if it matches anyway? There might be a slight pitch difference.
                  Unfortunately my old cassette player no longer works (haven't used it in years) so I'm afraid I can't help with that.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I found the original record.

The label is Deutsche Grammophon. The contents of the record are Pathetique, Les Adieux and Appassionata. And the pianist is Andor Foldes.

I assume this record isn't available on CD so please, either write to DG and tell them what you think about their oversight or give me some advice on how to transfer it to CD.

Comment

If you can connect the cassette audio outs to your computer sound card audio ins then with software that will record audio from your soundcard (there are many and are not expensive--there may be some freeware programs) you can create mp3's or wave files (the wave files will write to your CD) and write them to a CD (provided you have a writeable CD drive).

Comment

Working...
                      X