Favorite Beethoven Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Beethoven Symphony

Well, we've certainly discussed this before, but as a flimsy pretext for trying out the poll feature, let's do it again - what is your favorite Beethoven symphony at the moment? (I'm sure it changes all the time for many of us.)

Mine is No. 4. I think this one is definately underrated compared to 3 and 5. One of my favorite concerts was seeing this performed by the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.
    Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21
    0.00%
    Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 36
    0.00%
    Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica"
    14.71%
    Symphony No. 4 in B-flat major, Op. 60
    5.88%
    Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67
    17.65%
    Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 "Pastoral"
    8.82%
    Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92
    11.76%
    Symphony No. 8 in F major, Op. 93
    8.82%
    Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral"
    32.35%

If I was forced to choose I think it would be no.8 - that incredible finale does it for me! For some reason in the above list it is singled out in italics. Love the new voting feature, we can be incredibly democratic now!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

favourites

I chose the Pastoral Symphony, but I also love No.3, Eroica
      🎹

Comment

favourite

No 7 - guaranteed to get me dancing
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Hmm, diverse opinions so far, and no votes for 3, 5, or 9. Interesting!

Comment

I just voted for 9. This will always be at the top of my favorite symphonies. I'm also enjoying it more lately with Liszt's piano transcription.

Comment

It's tough voting for one, so I won't vote for a preferred one, rather one I listen to most. My vote goes for the 7th.

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              If I was forced to choose I think it would be no.8 - that incredible finale does it for me! For some reason in the above list it is singled out in italics. Love the new voting feature, we can be incredibly democratic now!
              That's because it highlights the one you voted.
              "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

best lvb symph...

overall it's no 8 because it's the only of the lvb symphs to which i can repetively listen in its complete form. all of the other symphonies have movements which pall easily when heard repetitively.

for example... the 6th... only the first and the last are ok on repeat hearings... the 9th only the first movt and sometimes the 2nd movt... the fifth's 3rd and 4th movt are ok for this kind of hearing... etc... but the whole 8th can be heard over and over and over again and i do and i do and ido...
                A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Well, I have to go with NK. The ninth will always be my favourite too! Also love Liszt's transcription of it. I see No. 7, 8, & 9 are neck and neck for now at least!
                  Last edited by Joy; 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    I voted for #5. Are you happy, now? The first record I owned was a Toscanini recording of the 5th which has remained to this day my benchmark recording of that symphony.

Comment

My favorite changes from time to time. Lately I have been stuck on the 3rd.

Comment

My favorite has always been the "Eroica".
                        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          I was wondering if we were allowed 9 votes?!! I chose no.8 as the one I probably listen to the most - a great work such as the 9th I savour for special occasions.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

It looks like #3 & #6 caught up with 7, 8, & 9!
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

And my poor No. 4 hasn't gotten any other votes

Comment

Working...
                              X