trio Wo 037

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trio Wo 037

Can you write me something about it in general. I am playing it right now and I need music anylisys of that work

------------------
    vida
    vida

Scored for Piano (the autograph states clavicembalo), flute and bassoon.

This trio was written for Count Friedrich Von Wester-Holt-Gysenberg, whose daughter Maria was an excellent pianist and Beethoven's pupil. The count played the bassoon and his son Wilhelm, the Flute - so the family would have performed this trio together. According to his friend Bernhard Romberg, Beethoven was very much in love with Maria von Westerholt, but she was soon married to Baron Von Beverforde-Werries.

Beethoven would have been familiar with the music of Mozart during his early Bonn years, largely as a result of the Elector Maximilian Franz's enthusiasm for his music. This trio shows the influence of Mozart, Clementi and the highly regarded Franz Sterkel. The work is in 3 movements consisting of Allegro, Adagio and Thema andante con variazioni.

It is a remarkable fact that this piece is one of the few wind compositions by Beethoven with the original manuscript preserved - remarkable, as most of the Westerholt family music was destroyed in a fire. The trio was found amongst Beethoven's effects after his death and published posthumously, with the first edition not appearing until 1888.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

What a pity that the poster couldn't even at least thank Peter for his reply. A substantial, underrated work is highlighted and yet no one responds? WoO.37 features a wonderfully dark adagio where the young Beethoven's love for (even younger) Maria is evident in his piano writing - I heard one description about "the clenched fist slipping out of the velvet glove". Great!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        What a pity that the poster couldn't even at least thank Peter for his reply. A substantial, underrated work is highlighted and yet no one responds? WoO.37 features a wonderfully dark adagio where the young Beethoven's love for (even younger) Maria is evident in his piano writing - I heard one description about "the clenched fist slipping out of the velvet glove". Great!

It does sound very interesting, the work. Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with it.

Comment

Sorrano, not knowing it is no excuse for not discussing it...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            It is a remarkable fact that this piece is one of the few wind compositions by Beethoven with the original manuscript preserved - remarkable, as most of the Westerholt family music was destroyed in a fire.
            We might have a clue of what might have been destroyed of Beethoven's early compositions. Strongly related to this trio is a Romance cantabile in e-minor for... flute, bassoon, keyboard and small orchestra (Hess 13, also edited by Willy Hess). This slowish mvt was part of most likely a three mvt concerto, and the parts which have not survived, may have become victim of that fire.

The romance is btw set in score, but not completed by B himself (but as it is in a simple ternary structure, easily to be finished reliably). From the other movements nothing has survived.

See also under WoO 37 in the Kinsky-Halm itself, where this Romance is mentioned, but not catalogued (as it is incomplete).

Comment

Working...
            X