Rousing finales!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    I prefer Leonora 3 to the Fidelio overture.

That opinion is a matter of taste, but in practical terms Fidelio is the only overture that can open the final version of the opera. Leonore is too heavy for the opening scene. Personally I think the 'Fidelio' overture is a cracking piece, even by the standards of the best of the others.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I prefer Leonora 3 to the Fidelio overture.
      Since we're discussing the Leonore and Fidelio overtures here, I was listening to my classical radio station and they played all 4 renditions. Personally I like Leonore#2. It's more darker, more tragic than
      #3. Also, I like the silence in between the opening notes more than when B filled in those silences with notes in #3. I suppose you could say #3 is more traditional musically than #2. Also, does anyone know if Fidelio is ever performed anymore? Maybe in Europe? Have any of you ever seen this opera. I would love to see it one day. I have read where B almost likened himself to Floristan being thrown into a dark silent cell almost like B's silent world around him.
      Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        [B Also, does anyone know if Fidelio is ever performed anymore? Maybe in Europe? Have any of you ever seen this opera. I would love to see it one day. I have read where B almost likened himself to Floristan being thrown into a dark silent cell almost like B's silent world around him.
        Joy[/B]
        As far as I am aware this opera is standard repertoire throughout the opera houses of the world! Regretfully I have never seen a live performance of Fidelio - the ideal place would of course be in Vienna (where hopefully I shall be later this year!).

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

As far as I am aware this opera is standard repertoire throughout the opera houses of the world! Regretfully I have never seen a live performance of Fidelio - the ideal place would of course be in Vienna (where hopefully I shall be later this year!).
          They're performing Fidelio at Glyndebourne soon. You can book seats now! Too far away for me though. I believe Gardiner performed the 1805 version live, though he may have used a narrator between the music numbers instead of the original dialogue, as is the case with his recent Leonore recording - all in all a totally ridiculous thing to do - Gardiner will be forever in my 'bad books' because of this, and I'm sure this will upset him terribly.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            They're performing Fidelio at Glyndebourne soon. You can book seats now! Too far away for me though. I believe Gardiner performed the 1805 version live, though he may have used a narrator between the music numbers instead of the original dialogue, as is the case with his recent Leonore recording - all in all a totally ridiculous thing to do - Gardiner will be forever in my 'bad books' because of this, and I'm sure this will upset him terribly.

Is that the Simon Rattle version? You can rarely obtain seats at Glyndebourne (the most elitist establishment in Britain!) as most go to business sponsors and members (it takes up to 40 years to become a member!). There are only ever tickets available for fringe events and the least popular operas, otherwise it is a case of who you know - I was unfortunate enough to go twice - unfortunate as the atmosphere is unbearably stuck up amongst such an unmusical crowd.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Is that the Simon Rattle version? You can rarely obtain seats at Glyndebourne (the most elitist establishment in Britain!) as most go to business sponsors and members (it takes up to 40 years to become a member!). There are only ever tickets available for fringe events and the least popular operas, otherwise it is a case of who you know - I was unfortunate enough to go twice - unfortunate as the atmosphere is unbearably stuck up amongst such an unmusical crowd.
              Just as well I've never been there. There's a video of an earlier Glyndebourne performance of Fidelio available on DVD. A bit of a cheap production set-wise, but the playing and singing are good.

------------------

Comment

What a wonderful trip to look forward to! Where are some of the places you plan to visit? Don't forget to send us a postcard or two. (Ha). Do tell us all about it upon your return.
                Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

What a wonderful trip to look forward to! Where are some of the places you plan to visit? Don't forget to send us a postcard or two. (Ha). Do tell us all about it upon your return.
                  Joy
                  Having been to Vienna previously aged 17 (the same age as B on his first visit!) I've already done all the touristy things such as Schonnbrun, Spanish riding school, Strudel! etc - so this time I intend concentrating solely on Beethoven and will visit as many Beethoven sites as possible, including a visit to the original burial place at the old Wahring cemetry, (now the Schubert park) - this will provide a whole range of new photos for this site, so you will all be able to enjoy the fruits of this trip! This will be around the beginning of August.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                    I am very partial to Leonore Number One (the Overture, that is). It seems to be the ugly duckling of the four operatic overtures, but I find it very tuneful especially in its use of Florestan's theme.
                    And listen to what brilliant use Beethoven makes of stereo, near the beginning where the theme travels from left to right (or is it the other way round?) I tell you, the man was centuries ahead of his time! I must listen out for some multi-channel effects in his late quartets.

Michael
                    Just noticed your post, I agree about no1, but the Namensfeier overture is an even uglier duckling! I agree about B's use of stereo, which is why I prefer the 1st and 2nd violins to be isolated from each other, with the 2nds placed to the right of the conductor. This improved the balance of the sound and reveals some excellent stereo effects. The 7th symphony is a good source of stereo effects.

------------------

Comment

Having been to Vienna previously aged 17 (the same age as B on his first visit!) I've already done all the touristy things such as Schonnbrun, Spanish riding school, Strudel! etc.....
                      I, too, hate to nit-pick, but Beethoven was still 16 when he first visited Vienna. Touche! And I, too, turn 40 in 18 months!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        I, too, hate to nit-pick, but Beethoven was still 16 when he first visited Vienna. Touche! And I, too, turn 40 in 18 months!!!
                        A well deserved slap on the wrist!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Having been to Vienna previously aged 17 (the same age as B on his first visit!) I've already done all the touristy things such as Schonnbrun, Spanish riding school, Strudel! etc - so this time I intend concentrating solely on Beethoven and will visit as many Beethoven sites as possible, including a visit to the original burial place at the old Wahring cemetry, (now the Schubert park) - this will provide a whole range of new photos for this site, so you will all be able to enjoy the fruits of this trip! This will be around the beginning of August.
                          Fantastic. Looking forward to it.
                          Joy

Comment

Having been to Vienna previously aged 17 (the same age as B on his first visit!) I've already done all the touristy things such as Schonnbrun, Spanish riding school, Strudel! etc - so this time I intend concentrating solely on Beethoven and will visit as many Beethoven sites as possible.
                            I don't know if the newly-opened "Haus der Musik" could be described as "touristy" but it is Vienna's latest visitor attraction. In its advertising it uses buzz-words such as "Interactivity, infotainment, edutainment" which makes one fear the worst and it certainly seems to be full of gimmicks but it does have a "Beethoven Room" as well as a "Melody Wood" which sounds ominous. If you make it off, be sure and tell us all about it.

Michael

Comment

I wonder if that's the Melody Wood I had a crush on at school?.......(sigh).......

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                                I wonder if that's the Melody Wood I had a crush on at school?.......(sigh).......
                                You're thinking of Penny Lane

M.

Comment

Working...
                                X