"This is Your Brain on Music"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"This is Your Brain on Music"

Read this article about a new book coming out on music and the brain.

"Daniel Levitin has worked as a musician, producer, and engineer, and rock concert sound man, and now he's written a book on how the brain processes music. Levitin, who runs the laboratory for musical perception, cognition and expertise at McGill University, did research in cognitive neuroscience at Stanford University to find out the answers to some of his own questions, like "where does creativity come from?" And "what goes into making a song memorable?" and "why songs get stuck in your head?" some of the answers he found are in his new book, "This is your Brain on Music", published by Dutton and available now in stores".

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    Read this article about a new book coming out on music and the brain.

"Daniel Levitin has worked as a musician, producer, and engineer, and rock concert sound man, and now he's written a book on how the brain processes music.
    From sound engineer to neurological analyst just like that. Boy that guy's adaptable. I always though that the brain responded to music in some way similar to the way it does with drugs, ie you get a 'high' from it, and develop a certain addiction. Though this form of stimulant is, of course, beneficial to the system (unless you're into the late Romantics!).

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-02-2006).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

The announcer at WGMS radio station has written a thoughtful essay on the effects of music on babies' and fetus' brains. I don't know how long this will stay on-line, but here's the link:
      http://www.wgms.com/index.php?sid=393799&nid=56

------------------
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        From sound engineer to neurological analyst just like that. Boy that guy's adaptable. I always though that the brain responded to music in some way simiar to the way it does with drugs, ie you get a 'high' from it, and develop a certain addiction. Though this form of stimulant is, of course, beneficial to the system (unless you're into the late Romantics!).

That's what I thought when I read this article. Man, that guy moves up fast!

------------------

Comment

Working...
        X